camaro 454 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 00, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

I just finished putting a 454 engine in my '78 camaro. When I put my feet on the gas the car starts with backfiring a couple of times before it takes of, it also doesn't produce the horsepower I expected from this setup. The exhaust metering system shows a rich combustion fuel to air ratio threwout the whole rpm range. Does any one have a idear??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 00, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech

If you have a Holley carb you might have blown the power valve. If this happened it will dump raw fuel and cause it to run rich. I would invest in one of the books which disects Holleys and gives tuning advice. Good luck.

Steve R.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 12:27 AM

put a timing light on it, if it's ok you may want to try adjusting your valves,(rocker arms). If either one of these were out they could have easly blown your power valve also.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks steve R and Scotty dog for your quick reply. The engine has a 750 cfm Edelbrock carb. I checked the timing it was almost 10 degree advance, I also readjusted the rocker arms two times, no change. I measured the pressure in each cylinder this also didn't indicate any problem there. What is the power valve in the carb exactly. Does back firing automatically mean that one (or more) intake valve(s) is (are) not closing completely, or can the fire be triggered by something else than the fire in the cylinder during combustion?? (in other words can a back fire excist when all the valves are closing correctly).

Greetings Bart
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 00, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

Power valves are not an issue with Edelbrock carbs. Try a compression check. Have you turned your motor over to see if all the valves are opening, and the rockers are moving. Good luck.

Steve R.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 03:55 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Hey bart. I know this is simple but is a common mistake. reCheck your firing order.

71 Camairo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

is there a chance you have a vaccum leak somewhere ? you can check this by spraying wd-40 around area's that might suck in air, and if you idle changes, you found your leak.
just trying to narrow down the problem.
good luck,
bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode