A/C Comp. relocation - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I am installing a Vintage Air in my '69. Is there any reason I can't convert to a short water pump, use the '68 pulleys, move the alternator to the driver's side, and put the compressor on the passenger side so the hose routing is much neater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 10:49 AM
hideaway

zz, i don,t see why not. i talked with a guy the other day and he had a 68 with the vintage air set-up and he loved it.he said it cools GREAT.his alt and ps was on the drivers side and the ac comp was on the pass side. i have a 69 chevy pick-up i put factory air on. i found that a 67-68 impala had the right pullys and ps pump i needed for this,and i did have to go with the short water pump. good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Here is a pic of my chevelle with a long water pump and vintage air. http://geocities.com/lonnie67_1966/wheng.html IMO the long water pump alt. bracket /pulley design is a huge improvement over the short setup. Any "cleanup" you get by moving the ac to the passenger side will be lost by the short pumps flimsy brackets and mile long belt. Better carry a spare, or two. Also, if you have tall valve covers, it will be a pain to take them off.

Lonnie

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 12.10 @110.6
website

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 03:12 PM
Tech Team

ZZ, I have a 69 that I may someday install a Vintage Air unit in. Why do you want to relocate these parts? Does there installation call for the move? I spoke with there rep at a show in Tampa in Oct. and he said everything needed is in the kit. Have you received your kit yet, and is it true?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 12:52 PM
Tech Team

Yes, everything needed is in the kit. I put mine in with the 69 drivers mount and long water pump. To help "clean" it up, I added several feet of hose and ran the hose throught the core support. The hose is only visible from the firewall to the support and then a short bit from the drivers side support to the back of the compressor. The kit is very well done and not too hard to install. I have some pics of when I put it in if this would be helpful.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 03:31 PM
Senior Tech

I have the vintage air setup with my 69 Big block and I put the compressor on the passenger side. It makes for a much cleaner engine compartment.

I also have power steering and headers. I basically used a 68 pulley setup with a SHORT water pump. Bottom pulley is a triple groove as is the water pump pulley. Power steering pulley is a single groove. I have NO PROBLEMS with belts because I use the best (GATES). I also NEVER throw a belt (6500 RPM shift points). I use a DEEP groove alt. pulley design. The other advantage is that it is MUCH easier to run your gas line up to a dual feed carb WITHOUT having to worry about that damn 69 alt. bracket being in the way.

The other advantage is that centrifical superchargers are for the most part ALWAYS mounted on the driver's side should you ever decide to get one.

In closing I would say that if I don't have a problem with this pulley and belt combination pushing close to 650HP, then you certainly shouldn't have any either.

GOOD LUCK!!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 02-14-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode