HELP!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Alright guys. I am young and looking for a complete 1st gen. camaro, for my second rebuild (maybe I can get it right this time).
Can I get some hints on what to look for and where?. Thanks.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
John

In my opinion, the most important thing to get in a car is a good rust free body and frame. When checking out cars, crawl under there and check every inch of the car and be wary of new paint, go over it with a magnet to see if there is lots of bondo in there.

After finding a good body, the next most important thing to me is that the car is complete. It is best if the car is at least running, but if you at least have all of the parts you have a good start.

As far as finding a car, trader magazines are good, but too many people in there know how much their car is worth than tack on an extra couple thousand bucks. The best place to find a good priced car is to look in the classified ads in the paper. It may take some time to find a good one, but they usually go a lot cheaper than from dealers. you can also check shows, sometimes there is a motivated seller. I found my car in the Washington Post, but it took months to find.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 06:14 PM

Lightbulb

Ditto on the trader mags and prices. Look for a plain jane are better yet a 6 cyl car. Better prices, and you want have to spend tons of money trying to rebuild a SS,RS,or Conv. back to a 100pt car.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 01, 11:03 PM

A posible car is listed on the for sale page of this site right now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Guys thank you for the helpful hints, the magnet trick sounds like a good idea.
Another question is once I find a car I like, how do I know what is worth and how much I should give.( For instance: the 69 camaro w/docs listed for sale at $5957 sounds like a solid buy, but do I just ask for more info; such as options and intactability?).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 01:50 AM
Tech Team

good luck.I just found my 69 out ot trader online.It was a Texas car.I live in N.J.The guy had the car in Pa 7 grand but the cars complete and needed nothing. headers line lock mint interior white with black skunk stipes ci hood spoiler rally wheels.Ill keep my eyes open for ya. jim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 03:30 AM
Senior Tech
John

I would never personally buy a car of any sort without a test drive, or if the car isn't running at least going to see the car before I buy. There aren't enough pictures the owner can send me to make me feel good enough to buy. That way you don't get a bigger project than you are planning on.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech

I agree. Pictures aren't enough. You've got to see the car. Start it up, drive it, you have no way of knowing all the little problems that car may have if you don't kick tires!

I look at pictures of my 67 before I started restoration, It looked great, but pictures can be deceiving. If I would have bought my car by just looking at pictures, I would have been disappointed once I came to pick it up.
Just my .02

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode