Team Camaro Tech banner

302 parts

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Robert Stacho 
#1 ·
I am rebuilding a 302dz and I had a few ?s:

-I don't have the snowflake highrise intake and I can't find one. Does anyone know where I can get one? I also heard that holley makes a reproduction.?????????
-I need 11.5 to 1 pop-ups. Where can I find them and will todays octane be a problem?

I would appreciate any input on this and any other tips would be helpful. THANX

[This message has been edited by z28freak (edited 11-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by z28freak (edited 11-28-2000).]

#2 ·
I believe TRW still makes those pistons. I have them in a 327. It actually runs on 93 octane gas without knocking. Are you restoring a Z, or just building a 302? There are better engine combinations to run on todays gas if it is going to be a daily driver. I'm sure some of the other guys/gals can give you specs on what runs on pump gas these days.

Mark

#3 ·
Check Ebay for the intake. There are usually 2 or 3 ranging from $200-$300.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

#4 ·
Z28freak

When my engine rebuilder ordered pistons for my 302 the 11:1 pistons were easily available and affordable. For lower compression pistons the cost was outrageous. For today's gas I was told 9.7:1 compression was about the limit with iron heads, 10:1 for aluminum. I chose to use stock 11:1 pistons and change to 76cc World Casting S/R torquer heads to give me 9.7:1 compression.
As for the intake manifold I chose to use a Weiand Stealth for more bottom end. This combination works great.

#6 ·
any one ever try using a 5.940 PM rod and a 350 piston? the rods are for V-6 i think and good for 450 HP, can get about any C.R. piston for the 350. someone tell me if this will work in a 302 motor.

[This message has been edited by ClintB (edited 12-04-2000).]

#7 ·
The 5.94" rod won't work with a 350 piston - it'll put the piston crown almost 1/4" above the deck. You'd need special pistons with the pin boss moved up, which pretty much eats up the space for the compression rings.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

#8 ·
#10 ·
Z28Freak,
I know of a few members in the club with an original winters 69 Z intake (siting in their garage). I'm sure one of those are for sale. We have a very good group at Camaros Limited, were more than willing to help if you have questions or need parts. Check out the site, drop me an e-mail and I'll pass my # along. I live here in South San Jose. I'm pulling my DZ this week some time. Bad main bearing Bad DZ!

------------------
Jess - Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
69 Z/28 Lemans Blue

#11 ·
Before I bought my 68Z (with non matching numbers 302 4 bolt main motor) I called the engine builder and he indicated that the motor was bone stock with the original TRW pistons. All he changed from stock was hardened valve seats (for use of non-leaded fuel and a slightly thicker (than stock) head gasket (which I am pretty sure would lower the compression slightly) Other than that the innards were bone stock. He told me that I should not run the engine with anything less than Sunoco Ultra94 fuel. I did this for about a year and it worked fine. Unfortunately I heard some issues about Ohio fuel because this state does not regulate as stringently as most other states and that some of the octanes may not be as advertised. You know...test the fuel and find out it is not quite up to snuff and tag the barrel - "Sell to Ohio".

Well, that was my paranoia at work but I did not want to ruin a perfectly good engine so now I run about half and half (Ultra94 & 110 Leaded racing fuel) and I breathe (and my engine breathes) easier now.
And I will add that it does seem to run a little stronger now.

R. Stacho (A.K.A. Mytmouse)

------------------
67 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
70 SS 396 Chevelle 350HP 4speed
68 RS Z/28 302 350+HP? 4speed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.