BB valve covers don't fit with brake booster in 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I just put a 427 BB in my 68 Camaro Convert. and I am looking for a set of aluminum valve covers that will fit with the existing brake booster. I have some chrome Moroso's that just make it but I'm not big on Chrome. I also have the 1.72 rocker arms so I need the tall valve covers. I have heard that it may be possible to put a Corvette booster in which is a smaller diameter. Can anyone give me a hand with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech

Did you change the frame mounts and motor mounts for the Big block. Or are you using the ones off of the small block? I'm getting ready to do the same thing and was wondering if using the BB engine and motor mounts will help the valve covers clear.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech

I was barely able to get the driver's valve cover on and off after my BBC install, I used the SBC frame mounts. in fact I needed to wail one heck of a dimple into the cover with a ball pein hammer. fortunately this did not contact the rockers.
I don't know of any special valve covers in aluminumn designed for this purpose, I have no exp with any smaller booster. Best of luck
John

[This message has been edited by 68ragtop (edited 11-28-2000).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 01:40 PM
Team Member
John

Vette Brakes, Master Power, and several other suppliers have small-diameter dual-chamber boosters made just for this purpose. Never saw any valve covers except stamped with the depression to clear the booster.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech

If 68ragtop is using SBC frame mounts, I wonder if it would clear using BBC mounts? Has anyone tried it? BBC mount shift the motor over a little.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 02:23 PM
Tech Team

After putting a BB in a '67 that was originally a 327 the wiper motor wouldn't bolt up right with Moroso valve covers but switching to BB frame mounts corrected the problem. Wes
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 00, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I am using the BB frame and motor mounts and the only clearence problem I have is the valve cover.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 01:15 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Hey I put a 396 into my 67& used the big block frame mounts. The only way that I can get my factory style valve cover on & off on the drivers side is to remove the wiper motor. I have no promblems with the brake booster & my covers aren't slanted of on the drivers side. Johnny

------------------
johnny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech

I used sb mounts for my 454. I had a hard time getting the belts on the bottom pulley. I haven't put the valve covers on yet. I think the bb mounts would raise it a slight bit more, but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode