Redline Tires - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daniel

I posted this last week in Wheels&Tires but didn't get much response, so I'm trying it here.

I am trying to put my car back somewhat to original and am looking for redline tires. I would like to put redline radials on. I have only found two manufactures, Coker and Diamond Back. Does anyone know of any other ones, or what do you thing of the tires from these two manufactures. Cokers web sight is: http://www.coker.com/default.asp and Diamond Back is: http://www.widewhitewalltires.com/products.htm
Thanks,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 02:47 AM
Senior Tech

Daniel,
I've looked into Cokers for my wifes car- very very good quality and naturally expensive. Apparently they've bought all of the original molds from Goodyear and Firestone, and they use modern techniques and materials to build their tires. They are the only ones I know of doing this.
If you do get a set please let me know how you like them, I'd be very interested in hearing. Pete

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 02:50 AM

Mickey Tompson used to make them try Summit I seen them in there. A friend has them on her car looks real good.Good luck.

69 RS Z/28 96 IMAPLA SS 82 C10 300HP 350

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 02:57 AM

Pete
I have Cokers on my Z like them very much. A friend has them on a 70 Roadrunner and a 70 Cuda he likes the to.

69 RS Z/28 96 IMAPLA SS 82 C10 300HP 350
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 03:16 AM
Tech Team

I use the Diamondback redlines on my 1969 Corvette when it isn't being shown. From an appearance standpoint, they do differ from the original redline tires in that the redline itself is a raised (rather than recessed) ring of red rubber vulcanized to the side of the tire. They offer (used to anyway) a retread as well as a new tire that is manufactured for them under some "off brand" name that I don't recall at the moment. Obviously, from a functional point of view, they are superior to the bias ply tires that were OEM in just about every way. The ride quality is like night and day and if you plan to do a lot of driving with your car (but want to keep an original appearance) this is an option worth looking at.

As you mentioned, Coker also makes a redline radial, although I found that the sizes they offer are limited (nothing correctly sized for post-1967 Corvettes, I don't know about Camaros). I don't know if the redline on this tire is raised or recessed and I have no first hand experience driving on this tire.

There is a third manufacturer that I'm aware of using a Michelin tire as the basis for its redline, but I'm afraid that I'll have to track down the name if someone is interested in this one. The construction of this tire is identical to Diamondback's with a raised strip of red rubber vulcanized to the sidewall. I've driven a car with these tires and while there isn't a great difference in "feel," these are probably the tires I'll go with when my Diamondbacks need replaced (I like Michelin tires... What can I say).

It has been my experience for the most part, that the average enthusiast doesn't usually catch the difference in construction... The fact that it's a redline makes it a "correct" tire for the application. Those that do spot the difference in the redline and the fact that it's a radial, usually ask where they can get a set.

Good luck with your decision Daniel.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Daniel

Stan,
Could you either post a picture of the Diamond Back tires of email me a picture of them?
Thanks,
Daniel
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 10:05 AM
Tech Team

Daniel,

I'd be happy to... I'll send something along this evening. I'll also try and locate the name and telephone number of that third manufacturer; I know that I have one of their business cards.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Last summer I switched from a 255/60-15 to a F-70 Goodyear Polyglas from Kelsey Tire.What a tire!Old Camaros were ment to ride on these tires.I believe the car rides better despite following the grooves in the road,and traction is also much better( more surface area on the road).I'm currently running a 327 with 425hp,3800 stall converter,and 4.10 gears while looking stone stock.The radials liked to slide around alot while the Polyglas just spin a little and dig.The looks are great and for as much as I drive it,1000 mi yr.,it just can't be beat.Money well spent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode