Starter Doesn't Match - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Question

I pulled the starter from my 67, 327 V-8 and discovered that it was not a Delco 3664, it looks like a 3649. The bolts are a different length and are offset diagonally. This is supposed to be a numbers matching car. I cannot find a starter to fit.

General Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Smile

It appears you may have a starter for a 153-tooth flywheel vs. 168-tooth. This part should be available most any parts store or have a starter/altnerator rebuilder rebuild the one you have now. If you choose to buy aftermarket, you can nose piece between the two starters, they interchange. Have to remove the solenoid first, then remove the two long bolts on the end plate, pull nose off, keep shims on starter shaft, reasasemble in reverse order. -- OOHH!! -- be sure to draw a line the full length of the starters to keep all parts oriented the same. Good luck and welcome to the Board!!!

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115 mph
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Question

Everett - Thanks for your help. If my engine block is drilled for either nose, can I use new starter as is?

Thanks Again!

Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
No!!....Must use same design of nose piece as originally removed. One design of nose piece works ONLY with one size of flywheel. Like I suggested, if you can only find a starter with the opposite type of nose, swap nose pieces with your removed starter.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 02:50 PM
DelGratta

Wow, guess I've been lucky. I've replaced 5 or 6 starters over the years. Each time I just dropped the old one and bolted the remanufactured one right up - no shimes, no solenoid swap, no line drawing and no problems.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Question

Everett - Thanks for your input, I finally got the right starter. I also reworked the wiring to the solenoid because it looked fried. Still there is no response from the starter. There is really no juice at all - the inside light in the car doesn't come. I know the battery is good, I checked it with a multimeter and put it on a charger. There's a wiring problem but I don't know how to troubleshoot. Of course this couldn't be a simple problem...Thanks, Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everett#2390:
No!!....Must use same design of nose piece as originally removed. One design of nose piece works ONLY with one size of flywheel. Like I suggested, if you can only find a starter with the opposite type of nose, swap nose pieces with your removed starter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I take it the car is dead -- no lights, no start, nothing? Well, I'll tell ya where to look, there is a buss bar underneath the horn relay bolted on the radiator support behind the left headlite. There will be two 10 ga RED wires attached, over the years, it becomes corroded. Remove and clean(with crocus cloth) and do the same to the junction block next to the battery. Another place to check is the firewall connection block, follow the wire into the instrument panel, it's crimp and splits to go to lite switch and to ignition switch. Hope this helps,

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I will check it out!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everett#2390:
I take it the car is dead -- no lights, no start, nothing? Well, I'll tell ya where to look, there is a buss bar underneath the horn relay bolted on the radiator support behind the left headlite. There will be two 10 ga RED wires attached, over the years, it becomes corroded. Remove and clean(with crocus cloth) and do the same to the junction block next to the battery. Another place to check is the firewall connection block, follow the wire into the instrument panel, it's crimp and splits to go to lite switch and to ignition switch. Hope this helps,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode