69 Big Block Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 00, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have a 69 Camaro that originally had a small block in it. I have a very healthy 396, I have built for it. The car has the original power steering in it that I would like to keep. It also has the stock heater case/core in it (non a/c) I am going to run headers from Hedman that are for 69 Camaros with manual trans, and power steering. I have no power brakes. I would like to know what I have to differently to place this motor in my car. Such as should I change the frame mounts, should I change both the heater core and the case, and should I put a plate underneath the driver's side motor of frame mount, so the headers will clear the steering sector or the shaft itself? What pulleys, brackets, water pump will I need. I have a brand new 3 core radiator that I just bought for my small block before I took the engine out. What fan do I need to run? Will the stock big block fan shroud fit the small block radiator, or will I have to modify it? I have a Factory GM cowl induction hood.(I am not lying) I would also like to know if I can run a high rise intake manifold such as the Edelbrock Performer RPM, or will I have to stick to the low clearance Torker II? Any information would greatly be appreciated.

------------------

Jeremy Mc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 00, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech

You're on the right track, one thing you didn't mention was coil springs, do yourself a favor and get some big block springs. I just bought a set from Firewheelclassics.com,
they are made by Moog, and only $69.95 Mine were worn out big time, and I wanted enough clearance to run 235/60/15s on the front, and that's exactly what the doctor ordered, they worked great. You can probably get away with the 3 core, but in the summertime, you'll be wishing you had the 4 core, they run anywhere from 20 - 30 degree cooler than your 3 core, with the proper fan shroud of course. I've heard there is a clearance problem with the heater hose inlets if you go to a big block, mine was originally a big block, so I didn't have that problem. Also, I know the motor mounts are different, you're definitely going to have to change them, and since you don't have a power brake booster, you won't have to worry about clearance on the driver's side valve cover, I had a heck of a time getting mine on, took about 2 hours and several cussing tirades.......I'm running a Performer RPM intake, with a 750 double pumper, and don't have any hood clearance problems, and I have the original SS hood, so you should be fine with a Cowl Induction setup. Good luck with the hedders, mine were already on the car, but it sure looks like a tight fit, especially on the drivers side, by the steering box. Hope this helps, check out my 69 SS/396 at www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/ KZ
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

A couple of points:

1. I would change the engine mounts. Several companies sell repros and they aren't expensive. Your headers may not fit properly without the big block mounts.

2. You don't necessarily have to replace your heater box. At one point, I was going to put a big block in my car so I modified my small block heater box and installed a big block heater core. All you have to do is cut the hole in the proper place (easier said than done).

3. You might be ok with the 3 core radiator. Try that new stuff you add to the coolant. It's supposed to lower the temp by 20-30 degrees. Anyone tried it??

4. As far as pulleys and brackets, most of them are reproduced. It may be hard to find everything you need in a junkyard.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See the car under construction at:

http://www/geocities.com/gheatly/camaro.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech

As far as spring go, you might just try to see if your local parts store can get them. I got my moogs from the local westurn auto and they only cost $55.

------------------
68 468 700R4
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 10:31 AM
David Pozzi

Why not buy a little bit stiffer front spring and get better handling?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 10:42 AM
David Pozzi

gheatly,
Your url is screwed up. http://www/geocities.com/gheatly/camaro.html

Correct: http://www.geocities.com/gheatly/camaro.html
You had a slash after the www

By the way, I like your car!
Regards, David
David Pozzi's web page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/David_Pozzi/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Thumbs up

Hey gheatly ... nice car. Its really cool to see what everybodys cars look like!

Davidposi....man you have had Quite a life! Some sweet photos.

Thanks guys.....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 00, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

The URL is fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 00, 05:43 AM

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. CHANGE FRONT SPRINGS, CHANGE TO BB FRAME MOUNTS, THAT SHIFTS THE MOTOR TO CLEAR VALVE COVER AND BOOSTER IF YOU GO THAT ROUTE. YOU WILL NEED TO USE A BB HEATER CORE AND YOU CAN GET THE COVER FOR THE NEW OUTLET LOCATION ON YOUR HEATER BOX FROM RICK'S CAMARO. BEST GO WITH A 4 CORE AND BB SHROUD SINCE THE ENGINE IS MORE FORWARD EXTENDING THAN A SB. DEPENDING ON HOW ORIGINAL YOU WANT TO BE YOUR ACC. LINKAGE, FUEL LINES MAY NEED MODIFICATION OR
GOTTEN FROM THE AFTERMARKET. THE BRACKETS AND PULLEYS ARE AVAILABLE AS WELL. IF YOU ARE GOING ORIGINAL AN ASSEMBLY MANUAL IS A MUST. HAS ALL THE PART NUMBERS AND SHOWS THE
DIFFERENCES IN THE DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS.
GOOD LUCK. THE CAMARO GUY.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode