68 Z/28 with alum 427 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Back in late 68 my father purchased a 1968 Z/28 that was ordered with a aluminum 427 big block.It had 4 wheel disk brakes,4 speed and special interior package.It had a factory ss hood and a stripe package that went with it.The stripescame over the trunk over the hood and over the sides like the hockey stripe then went all the way down the side and up the quarter and tied into the stripes on the trunk.It was two tone blue.This car came from factory like this,nothing was dealer installed.The dealer told him there were only 25 of these cars made.My sold the car about 18 years ago and im trying to buy the body back so i can put it back as close the the original as i can.My father was racing the car at the race track and scattered the 427 half way down the track so the numbers wont match.Has anyone ever seen or heard about a car like this.I want to find out as much as i can on restoring the options it came with.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 02:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
You should also post that question at the Yenko.net site. I have never heard of such a car. Can you get pics of the Body ?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clill:
You should also post that question at the Yenko.net site. I have never heard of such a car. Can you get pics of the Body ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ill see if i can get some picks so everyone can see it

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 05:42 PM

I loved the early Camaro's...had a 67 then and have two 69's now. I knew of the Nickey dealer 427's but also have never heard of a factory car as you descibed it.
Let us know what you find out...good luck.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

What dealer did your father purchase the car from?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech

Being he purchased it in late 68, are you sure it wasn,t a 69 instead of 68? COPO any one? Okay I know the first ones weren,t delevered until Dec. to Fred Gibbs but thats late 68

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 05:35 AM
Tech Team

Either it was a dealer thing ( whioch you say it wasn't) or your dad was/is very well connected at GM because such a car has NEVER been documented.

An L89 396 is a distinct possibility. But they were 69's if I recall. ZL1 is a distinct impossibility so I assume you head aluminum headed 427, not alum block.

Anyway, good luck in restoring it. L88's in 68's are just too much fun! BTDT!

Zl1 wouldn;t be worth more than you got into it considering the non-documented nature and the cost of ZL1 parts.

I happen to know of a fella with a garage full of L88/ZL1 stuff, but you'll need 9Gs becuase he WILL NOT ( ) separate.

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 11-30-2000).]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech

I researched all of my files and then called some friends at the G.M. Tech Center. I can find NO record of this car ever being produced and neither can the Tech Center. Appearently, there were a few all aluminum motors produced for Can-Am racing and delivered only to the "factory teams" but none were ever sold to the public in 68 or 69. They did mention some aluminum motors that were produced in 65 however.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

this car was specialed ordered with the all aluminum 427 big block,block heads intake were all aluminum.Only 25 68 camaros were have supposedly ordered with this engine.It was ordered just like you would do a car today.Father went to dealer told them what he wanted.2 months later it was there.WE are looking for the build sheet but havent seen it in 8 years so may not find it(thats the way my luck usally goes).Any way you guys will be the first to know when i do.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech

What dealer did the car come from? This would go a long way in narrowing the possibilities.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 06:18 AM
Team Member
John

Interesting story, but no such car was ever factory-built; it was converted either by a third party on a drop-ship basis before the dealer got it, or the work was done by the dealer. You couldn't just "special-order" a combination like this without testing, approval, and releasing by Engineering and Purchasing under a COPO, and there were none of this sort ever issued, especially for one-off cars for private individuals. However it came to be, good luck in your search.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech

Question

John Z, would GM allow just any dealer to convert cars to buyers specs and sell them with warrenty or finance them like a prod car?

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well guys,guess what.Iwas given some wrong info.First the car was not bought by my father from the factory.It was purchased by the McNacken brothers in Louisville KY.My father purchased it from them and it only had 3000 miles on it.But he said the McNacken brothers did purchase this car exactly as i described.The car was bought from a dealer in louisville ky.They paid $7432 for it.They got money out the behind and have very good friends in high places.This car was supposedly ordered to test for racing in the IHRA on the drag circuite.They were rumered to have even worked for fredd gibbs at one time.Any way if i find more out ill let you know and sorry for the wrong info.Ive tried to get into touch with the original owner all day but they tell me if i aint buyen they dont have time to talk.Ill keep you posted though.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 03:09 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Just food for thought, I know a few folks that insist on calling every camaro a Z..
Could this car be one of the missing ZL1's? It sounds like the car has some cool history behind it.

Luke see if you can get the VIN and cowl tag numbers for us. There is alot of "in the know" folks here like JohnZ who I think was born on the assembly line . These guys won't steer you wrong!!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

Lukes67, The dealer your speaking of is the McMackin brothers and yes they did specialize in muscle cars and they all four are very good friends of mine.Noel is out of the car business and dont see him much,Larry moved away many years ago to Indy,IN and I see him every couple of weeks at the auction.Douge comes by the house on occasion to see what Im building and we talk alot.Douge helpted me build my first 302 for a 69 Z/28 I did many years ago.Larry the oldest of the four passed away a few years ago after a long battle with cancer and it makes me sad to think of him now and all the cool stories he could and would share with you all.I met the four when I must have been about 10 or so,they had the ultamate lot with many Camaros and Chevelles and other muscle cars of all shapes and sizes.The told me many many stories of selling the kid a Z/28 or somthing and it comming back in a couple of weeks with a bad engine and replacing it with a 350 or 327 or somthing.Even with big block cars repalcements happened all the time.He told me of going to the GMAC sale for repo cars and being the only bidder on many high horse or rare cars that were not so desireable back then.A very special memory was my brother trying to talk my dad into letting him buy a Yenko Chevelle that Larry had driven as a personal ride and after all the talk and selling my brother did he ended up with a 1969 AMC Javlin.They closed the lot and retired many years ago but the lot is now leased to a buy here pay here but behind it is still all of the garages where yes tons and I mean tons of parts came out of .I moved most of it but some still remains.Their are still some of their old cars around but only a few of us know where they are a 67 big block Corvette and Larry says his old race car in Indy he thought was a ZL1 because he bought one at auction and took the dam aluminum motor out later on and put it in a 56 Chevy. The car is white and has some of the original paint but who knows.The next time I get to see him ill get the VIN buts is probably a SS or somthing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode