Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 00, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Hey guys,

The car in the link if you look at the engine compartment it has the SBC heater hose routing/setup. Has anyone ever seen someone convert a BB to SB heater core setup?
SS396 for sale
Heck I just realized it is kinda close I just might have to look at it in person

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 11-30-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 02:11 AM
Senior Tech

Question

That sounds a little fishy to me. I can see going the other way, from a small block to a big block, you'd need the extra clearance. Everything else about the car seems correct, he's right about the LA built cars not having "X" codes. I've got one myself, and it took alot of research to prove it wasn't an original SS/396 car. I'd count the hood springs (should have 28 vs 26 for stock hood), look for the fuel return line, check the location of the speedometer through the firewall, glovebox sticker maybe? Hanger plate on the drivers said frame rail for the dual exhaust plate, behind the back wheel. Camaros.org has alot of good info about deciphering this kind of situation. Problem is, just about ANY of this stuff could have been put on after it rolled down the assembly line. Without the POP or build sheet, you're really taking a big chance. But then again, if you can't prove it was an original SS/396, you probably can't prove it isn't either. Tough call.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 02:37 AM
Senior Tech

I emailed the seller and he said that heater box had been changed:rolleyes One thing to look at would be crossmember or maybe they changed it also

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 02:44 AM
Senior Tech

Just read the new post on the 69 above, How do you find any remnants of black paint by removing tailights from a 69? Also a/c cars had the 2 piece brake line installed under the driver seat, right?

------------------
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 02:55 PM
Banned

Smile

I asked about how much trouble it is to change to a bb heater from a sb heater. I was informed here that you gota loosen the fender to do it because its partly under it.

I can't see myself doing it unless I had the fenders off in the first place, call me lazy, but I'm not one to look for that much extra work. So go figure!!! pdq67

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 03:10 PM
Team Member

No one in their right mind would change the heater box just to install a small block. It's too much work. I don't think it's an original big block car.

Can someone enlighten me. I've never seen that type of radiator spacer. What's it from?

TTFN
Mat
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech

Look at the radiator, its not a cross flow, it looks like a top tank from an early A body. also has short waterpump and alternator brackets.

------------------
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 00, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech

I have a '67 - and haven't spent much time looking at a '69 - but does anyone wonder why the air filter cover says "327"? - what did '69 valve covers look like? must have kept the same valve covers that were on the "283" heads.

Steve

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 00, 06:01 AM

Not much rust, a few bubbles in the paint.
No way to tell until the paint is off. I have found that white paint hides so much.
I might be wrong, but the engine compartment, just doesn't look 'right' to me.
That ad gives me an uneasy feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode