69 rear bumper - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I plan to get my rear bumper re-chromed and was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the rivets for the center bumper bracket, since you have to remove it for re-chroming. Is everyone using bolts to re-attach the bracket? Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 01, 11:23 PM

Johns,
From my days in the collision business, I have become aware of the problem, or potential problem, with re-chrome bumpers. Some are good and others are not so good. Some of the chrome yellows, some of it peels off and some of the bumpers rust from underneath the re-chrome. Other re-chrome bumpers last for years. It's a crap shoot.
New repro bumpers generally are not re-chrome and costs are simular to a re-chrome bumper.
If you already knew this, I'm sorry for the post. If you didn't, it's something to think about.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 01:40 AM
Senior Tech

Repro rear bumpers don't fit, at least not on my 67. I was also considering getting my original bumper rechromed.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.126/default.htm

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 02:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I went repro on my 69. I used short carriage bolts after grinding off those HUGE rivets to transfer the bracket.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 03:03 AM

I cut the two rivets off from the back and keep the heads. I was abull to get a NOS bumper to put the light back on I got two S/S bolts took them to a trade shool had the shop teacher cut the heads to look like the rivets This was a chep way out and it looks stock.When it is back on the car there is no way to tell. Worked for me.

TIM
http://alumbs.photopoint.com/j/Alumb...a=12182103&f=0
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I agree with the above. However, I had my stock bumpers rechromed and it was A LOT more expensive that the repros. Someone had them on sale within the last few months for $99 each. It cost $189 per bumper to have mine rechromed!!!

One issue I would have with the repro is whether it is manufactured with the coirrect gauge metal. Most repro stuff is manufactured using thinner gauge metal. Not something you want your bumper made of!

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 3/16/01 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 01, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

I like the idea of turning down the heads on the bolts. I had the bumper on my chevelle rechromed 3 years by Keystone and it is holding up. The problem I have with repro is a lot of it is made overseas. You know American car, American parts. Thanks for the replies. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode