blower or not? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
will

Question

hey whutz up guys? i've got a question....what do u think of a blower system on a 350 in an 82 camaro? i dont think im ready for that yet, but was thinking about setting the engine up so it would be an easy transition when i do decide. so if any of you have some info, or advice i welcome it. catch u later

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 07:53 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Blowers fool your motor into thinking its bigger than it really is. Figure a 350 at 1.5 atmoshperes, but bump that to 2.25 atmospheres and it breathes like a 460!

In terms of the motor. Just use hi quality forged components. Steel crank, forged pistons ( preferably blower pistons which are heavy in the right areas ), polish/rebuild rods with arp fastensers, and meticulous valve guide clearances. Other than that, its a nice 100 HP boost.

You'll be wanting low 8:1 compression I would guess, so until you get a blower on there, you'll have a low power slug unless you happen to have a set of early 64cc heads you can swap on for the time being.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 08-21-2000).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

Good Advice 427,

My suggestion would be to go with a centrifical supercharger like an ATI. The Blower does look trick but a centrifical is much more efficient and by using an intercooler it will generate less heat than a roots blower setup. You could run higher compression with this setup compared to a blower setup. If you stayed in the 9-9.5 to 1 compression range (MAX) with aluminum heads you could safely run say 8 lbs. of boast for a 30-40% increase over the normally aspirated motor. This would turn a fairly mild 350 horse motor into a 475 horse motor and because you don't have to run 7.5-8 to 1 compression, it would still run good before the boast start to kick in (usually around 2500 RPM).

NOTE: I would not try this without forged pistons. If you have cast iron heads I would stay in the 8.5 to 9 to 1 compression range as a MAX. A good head seal is vital in this case (FELPRO gaskets and block studs are a good idea). The studs are PROBABLY a little overkill at 8 lbs. of boast but I always play it a little safe in this area.

If you go crazy on the boast, you are going to need a sronger bottom end, o-ringed cylinder bores, etc.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

sr71bb hit the nail on the head. My combination runs a little over 9.5:1 compression (with aluminum heads) and I run 9 psi with 92 octane pump gas.

My bottom end includes a 4 bolt block with ARP main studs, GM "pink code" connecting rods with ARP bolts, forged steel crank, and TRW forged blower pistons (with a 21cc dish).

You can visit my web site to get more retailed info on my engine.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 8/13/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech

Having run two blower motors, one for the street and one killer pro-steet set-up, go for the blower. You won't be sorry. Pay attention to your bottom end, use the best parts you can afford and don't overdue the compression ratio. Blowers will cover-up some carb and cam problems and EFI setups work well for street/strip. Injection is nice, but I'd rather be BLOWN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode