I need help FAST - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I sold my 68 coupe a few weeks ago and I have been regretting it ever since. But I came across another Camaro that is in even better condition than the one I just sold. The car has no engine but I think it was originally a 6 cylinder car. If I buy it and want to change over to a 327 or 350. What changes will I have to make? Do I have to change the radiator? Wiring harness? Motor mounts? Please help me on this one guys. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 12:06 PM

This has been discussed much before. Do a search and you'll be surprised how much info you'll find. Try this thread for starters:
https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/001661.html

I'd search for "6 cyl swap" or something like that. Good luck!

------------------
Ben - '67 RS/SS350 - Mustangs, meet your NEMESS
"There's an 'e' in Ben, but there's NO 'E' IN CAMARO!!" (sorry, just a pet peeve of mine!)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 02:23 PM

"E"
if you're such a stickler for spelling, then I guess I should tell you that the word nemess doesn't exist. it's actually nemesIs. I don't know if it's a type o in your sig or not, but I just figured you should know.

[This message has been edited by lil_beast_67 (edited 02-14-2001).]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 03:55 PM
kel
Senior Tech

Hey Beast,

I believe the spelling Ben did is because that is what is on his plates. He could only fit that amount of letters onto it.

------------------
It never ends...it just keeps getting better!http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

You'll have to excuse poor Ben, he's a little slow. You could spot him a "c" and a "t", and he still couldn't spell cat. I think it was the power steering gearbox I dropped on his head. He said it didn't hurt, although it did bleed alot. Only allowed 6 letters on your plate in TX!

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech

MY 68 started as a 6 cyl car...change motor mounts....and it will go right in....the wiring harness is useable..except if the new engine has things such as a/c the wire will not be there....the radatior may have to be changed depending on the engine a stock engine should be ok....very easy swap....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech

Buy an LTI with a good 700r4 or T56 manual. Throw in a BeCool radiator and good fan and you got a machine. Or build a hot 350 if your so inclined. Edelbrock is also coming out with a line of engines.

Don't make the same mistake I did and get a rebuilt from checker etc places. Get a GM brand spankin new short block. I'd at least go with a serpintine belt if I was to do to it again. Fuel injection would be nice too. Maybe a MiniRamII. Check out www.thirdgen.com for EFI stuff.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 01, 05:52 AM

Explanation of NEMESS:
I thought more people would pick up on this, but I have to explain it a lot! Yes, I know the correct spelling of nemesis, but if you subtract the 'i', what 2 letters get pushed together? That's right, SS! So even if we could use 7 letters in Texas, I'd still put NEMESS on my plate. Maybe I should spell it NemeSS in my sig to make it clearer though.

(btw, if it ever stops raining here, I'll take a new pic of the front end of my car with the new plate on it and link it to my sig, so it'll make more sense.)

[This message has been edited by No 'E' in Camaro (edited 02-15-2001).]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'm just wrapping up a 6 cyl to 383 swap in my 68, hoping to fire it up tomorrow. A couple answers . . .

Motor mounts - different, replace both frame and engine mounts.

Wiring harness - should be no problem. Oil pressure sender wire will be on the short side, coil wire will be long, everything else was perfect.

Pulley and brackets - you'll need them all. Try to find them in a set from a donor engine or you'll wind up with an anurism like me trying to mix and match aftermarket stuff.

Radiator - you'll need a bigger one. 6 cyl cars came with a two core, V8's need a three core or larger.

Tranny - 6 cyl automatics are lighter duty, but work with mild V8's.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 11:11 PM

Jblake & Eric68 speak the truth, the 6 cyl motor mounts are much lighter duty than the V8's, and the radiator has to be upgraded. LT1, LT4, LS1, and LS6 are great engines, but not for your car. GM Direct has several good values in crate motors for your car, at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
You could go with any of the 350's, (ZZ4 is a great engine)or go wild and put in a 502 for less than it will take to get an LT or LS engine running in your car. These are TB, computer controlled engines, and in your case would be a major pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode