Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 99, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1985 Camaro with a 305 carburated. My problem happens when I
go a few blocks to the store, in the morning after its been sitting all night
with out letting my car warm up at all. when I come back out of the store
and try to start it it takes forever to start I have to keep the gas to the
floor and it eventually starts but takes a min of haveing the gas to the floor
to get it to idle on its own. Any ideas on what it is?

I have a new carb, fuel pump, and new filters.

thanks in advance Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 99, 03:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Computer problems maybe? I wonder if you were to disconnect the computer power feed at the battery before restarting it in the morning. If that helps a diagnostic machine might be able to pinpoint the problem.

Larry
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 99, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I dont have a computer in it.

------------------
Dan Young

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 99, 02:30 PM
Tech Team

I had an 86 Trans Am with a 305 carburated. If you turn the key on, then go under the hood you should hear a clicking coming from the carb. That is the idle mixture solanode clicking back and forth. Mine jammed, and it was terrible to start. It would foul plugs, and idle terribly till warmed up.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 99, 07:52 AM

Sounds like vapor lock to me. Where did you install the fuel filter in relation to the fuel pump and tank? Installing the fuel filter in an incorrect place or way would cause vapor lock. Is it an electric pump or a mechanical? Look up vapor lock in some repair manuels. Good luck

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
The night-time is the right time

****James Bondo****
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 99, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I don't think it could be vapor lock. Dan's car doesen't appear to be running long or hard enough for that. And if he doesn't have a computer, then the carb wouldn't have a mixture solinoid.

Could it be that there is some trash at needle seat? Does it smoke, (black?) Before you start it up the second time, look down the carb to see if there is a puddle of gas. Does it backfire when you're flooring it to keep it running? I'm grasping for straw here!

Keep us informed, Dan! This is interesting!

Larry
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 99, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

well I got it cheaked out by a friend and he thinks it has somthing to do with somthing called a "cold start valve"??? i dont know what that is though. I figured out if I let the car compleatly warm up it will work great it's only when I dont let it warm up that it gives the problem. One other thing could the idle be sticking and flooding the carb? it seems to idle perty high. It doesen't smoke at all or backfire.

Thanks Dan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 99, 05:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Does your car have a automatic choke ? Maybe it's staying on too long and flooding the engine. Next time at the store remove the air cleaner and see if the choke is still on. If it is, hold it open with a screwdriver and try starting it. Or maybe you already ruled this out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 99, 07:02 PM
David Pozzi

Check your choke unloader valve. It's a vaccum can that pulls open your choke just after you start the engine, takes about 10 seconds. without the unloader the choke tries to stay on too long and too much. when you are experiencing the problem take off the air cleaner and have someone observe the choke blade, after about 10 seconds of running the choke should open about 3/8" and gradually open all the way when warm. It's on the passenger side of the carb. usually at the front corner but sometimes at the rear corner of the carb, passenger side. You can test it by pulling off the vaccum hose and compressing the diaphram inside by pushing the arm in. Then pull off the vaccum hose and cover the fitting where the hose connects. Then release the arm and watch it to see if the arm releases all the way. If the diaphram inside is good the arm should stay in untill you release your finger from the vaccum connection.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 99, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech

David is right on the money. On the rebuilt carb this unloader should be ok, but may need adjusted. Usually just bend the rod to the choke linkeage just a little to open the choke a little extra will do the trick. Also make sure the choke does open all the way when the engine gets hot. tom
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 99, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

its a new carb and it has a electric choke but not to worry i fixed it sorta.. but know it a worse problem i blew the engine hehe i thought it was pertty funny but thanks for all the advice, hopefully i wont have the same problem with the new one i'm getting a 350 put in 8o)

thanks all... Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode