68 Camaro Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 99, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am in the process of converting from drum to front disc brakes. I have to know which booster ,master
and proportioning valve to use. I have been told in 67 and 68 a bendix booster was used and in 69 they used a delco?I have no problem buying either one also no problem buying a master cylinder.My other question is where am I going to find a proportioning valve to work in this system. All the local parts suppliers are unable to source one as well as the GM dealer. Will any other valve from a later model chev work?. I take it this valve is mounted right under the master and is held on with a bracket the same as the distribution block I removed from the standard non power brake master? One final question with a valve in place will there be any need for the distribution block or will this valve eliminate it?. Thanks in advance for your help,Garry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 99, 02:41 PM
Tech Team

The proportioning block takes the place of the distribution block. You can mount it anywhere, but it is normally mounted right below the master cylinder. Any after market rake source sells them, or you can go through Summit or Jegs.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 99, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The type of proportioning valve you get will determine if you need the distribution block. If you purchase an adjustable valve from a company like Willwood or Summit (the Summit valve is a Willwood product) you will need to intall the valve between the master cylinder and the distribution block. The valve is installed on the front brake circuit. Keeping the original distribution block intact and only adding the adjustable valve is the cleanest way to go in my opinion.

You can eliminate the distribution block if you use a combination valve. The combo valve combines proportioning and distribution into a single unit. They are available through aftermarket companies such as Master Power Brakes. If you look at one of their ads you will see in the kits a crazy shaped piece about 6 inches long x 2 inches high x 1/2 inch thick. Some of these valves are fixed and some are adjustable.

Good luck.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 99, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech

Garry, I'm converting my 67 over to front discs. I contacted inline tube (www.inlinetube.com)as I also needed to change over my brake lines. They have brake line kits for this conversion as well as prop. valves. It's a clean kit with all the proper bends where they need to be. I have been told that the power booster & master cylinder from a 69 w/discs will work as well as a chevelle from the same year will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode