RS Headlamp Switch Out - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 00, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I have a 68 standard camaro and a 67 electrical hideaway headlight system (i.e. headligh assemblies, doors, front lamp wiring harness, relys and relay panel, motors, hood latch, and parking lights). I know I will have to get rs front fenders, grill and headlight bezels. Having all this stuff, the question is: will the 67 system install easily, without modification, and operate in the 68? I understand the draw backs of affecting the cars value to collectors, but I'm not looking to build a show car. I want a nice modernized driver with a nostalgic flare. My plans are to put a ram-air 350 engine in the car as well as a tremic 5 speed trany. Everything else will be original 68.

[This message has been edited by eric (edited 03-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by eric (edited 03-27-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 00, 05:27 PM

Exclamation

Dont do it !! #1 your going to be totally shredding the value of both vehicles. #2 Camaro Buffs...and muscle car fanatics...and mechanics will all be able to tell. #3 It makes us 68 RS owners feel cheapened. Dude...go to all the restorations sites and slowly work to make em both cherry.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 00, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I'm sure there are guys more knowledgable than me on this, but I'll tell you what I do know for sure. I own a 67 RS & 67 SS, first deal is the fenders. The mounting tabs for the headlight buckets are different on RS. They are recessed back further than standard ones. I've heard you can just tack weld right ones in place after removing old ones, but I've never done it. There are several other things to consider also, hood latch release lever is different. When you say you have complete system, does that include wiring harness from fuse box out? Do you have all relays & limit switchs? The center section of grill is different also including upper & lower grill molding. These are just a few things off top of my head, but there are some real knowladgable guys on this site that might have more info for you.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 00, 03:27 AM
Senior Tech

and the Headlight Bezles are also different. the screwholes on the 68 coupe are alot different than the R/S , entire grill + upper and lower molding , headlight covers, + wiring . no use in having them if you cant get them to open... youll need a Wiring harness from the R/S , you can get all that from Paddock, (although I think they are a ripoff) for 1K

(I dont think the hood release is any different )
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 00, 12:22 PM
Tech Team

Also with a RS, The front and rear valance panels hold park lights(front) and back up lights (rear) Hood latch lever is at the lower opening in the valance. Many things would need swapped and engineered. Hope this helps-Dan in WV
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 00, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Red face

I have to agree with Baby68RS....plz rethink this....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my car ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 00, 07:50 PM

Not to mention the side running/trim lights, and rs package chrome. If you were going to do it right, it would cost you as much as it would to sell your car, your rs parts, and save for a month to get an rs for 10k. Better make up your mind quick though rs and rs/ss coupes are sky rocketing in price right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode