cheapest heads? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Anyone know where I can find a cheap set of 194 heads for a 350 chevy? I took mine in this morning and both of them are cracked in 3 different places!!! Salvage yards want $150 each! I ought to be able to find some a little cheaper I hope. Thanks for any help

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech

I've got a set of # 624's minus springs and retainers for $100. Also have a new set of Z springs for $40, and can round up some retainers. They have 1.94/1.5 valves, and are the light casting heads with 76cc chambers. I had them on a '78 Z, and wiped out the cam. The car had @ 82,000 miles on it. They would need a valve job. Where in La. are you? I'm in North Ga. Email if interested. They have been sitting for 11-12 yrs., since '88.

------------------
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 02:43 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I just sold a set of 64cc's for $75. I called the salvage yard and was told the had them for $50 each and decided to give a club member a break....

Have you looked into having your welded?

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 00, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

I would buy some Dart S/R's, I think you can get them for around $500 complete and ready to bolt on. These are new, have hardened valve seats, flow better than stock heads, have a choice of valve sizes and combustion chamber sizes. My guess is that it would cost less to buy these than to replace your heads and have a valve job done.

Steve R.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 05:57 AM
Senior Tech

Steve is right. The $500 is SOOOOOOOO much better spent on the Torquers than buying used stock heads or rebuilding them. $500 gets you brand spanking new heads that are light years ahead of stock castings. In the end, it would cost you that much to "refresh" a set of crappy stock heads.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am still debating on what to buy. If the budget wasn't so tight right now, I would no doubt spring for a set of brand new vortec heads. After hitting the pavement on my motorcycle at 90 mph 2 months ago, I still got quite a few hospital bills left to pay. Anyway, the cheapest deal I have found around here is a set of rebuilt 882's with 194 valves for $300 exchange, ready to bolt on. This is from a machine shop. And they said they would take my cracked ones is as a core! Is this a good deal or not? Thanks for your opinions. Btw, how do I find out what heads mine are? There are no numbers on the front of the heads anywhere.

Richard
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech

The #'s are under the valve covers, cast into the heads. Look between the springs.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

New Update! Just picked up my old heads from the machine shop and now he tells me they are 305 4-barrel heads with 184(?) valves and 63cc. He said it is the same head he runs on a dirt track car. The number between the valve springs is 864434. Does anyone recognize those? On the other end of the head is GM21T. The machinist recommended putting 194 heads back on it. But it ran fine with the heads that were on it, so I don't know what to look for now, 194 or 305 heads. Motor is totally stock. HEI ignition and edelbrock 600 carb. Stock exhaust manifolds, intake, cam, etc. Has a turbo 350 auto. Plan on bumping horsepower up in the future, just can't afford to right now. What do yall suggest?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 00, 03:45 PM

I'm not for sure but if you have parts store around that sells Marshall Engines check with them and find out what they know about the price for a set of SB performance heads. I would be interested to see what they go for. Don't know if I should say this but I cut the seats in them. They have a 2.02 int and 1.6 ex. With a little smoothing they should be a good running set of heads. I plan on putting a set on the 68 327 I'm building. I should add that we sweep out the port to blend them so you can run them as is, but who can resist a little grinder time???
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Another option.....found a set of 305 heads reworked wrapped in plastic ready to bolt on from an individual for $100 with NO core charge. Ran across this after I called the machine shop and told them to start on a set of 882's with 194 valves. But they won't be ready until next week. Price for those are $99 each with a $35 core....so $270 for a set of reworked 882's vs $100 for a set of reworked 305 heads that I can put on tomorrow. If I just bolt on the 194's and don't change anything else, will I feel a power loss just by driving it? I know they will breathe more and give me more top end, but I really like the low end torque the 305 heads put out. But, if I'm still going to have detonation problems, then 194's all the way.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 04:51 PM
Tech Team

HOPE YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANYTHING YET BACAUSE I AM BUYING EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR RIGHT NOW. CALL SCOGGIN-DICKEY CHEVROLET IN TEXAS. THEIR PARTS DEPT. IS SELLING "BRAND NEW" 194X150 HEADS (#SD194) FOR $150 EA. FULLY ASSEMBLED WITH NEW PARTS. HOPE THIS HELPS
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 06:07 PM
Banned

Question

Guys,

Just what are -194 heads off of anyway. I don't know heads past -461's and 2's and 441's etc.... What's the CC size and so forth? Just curious, Heck, I might learn something here. thanks. pdq67

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech

All 350 engines through at least mid eighties came with 194's or larger. All camel hump heads, whether on 350 or 327's came with either 1.94 or 2.02 intakes, and 1.5 or 1.6" exhaust. The only way to know for sure is to take off the head and measure valve size.

Steve R.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 00, 10:22 AM
Tech Team

PDQ,

FROM MY EXPIRIENCE ALMOST ALL THE 194 VALVE SIZE HEADS HAVE A 76CC CHAMBER.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 00, 10:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Not 100% here, but I think casting #3947041 was a 64cc 1.94/1.50 iron head in '69 and '70 They came on the L48 350/300hp. They might have been 2.02/1.60s, not sure... Very good old iron head!!!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode