Pics or suggestions on powersteering for 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

My car is a 68 w/350 and no options(a/c,ps,or disk brakes) I have almost all the components to convert to power steering. Just trying to figure out the how the setup is going to work as far as belts and pulleys go. My alternator is on the top, drivers side. Will this work with the ps on bottom drivers side? I'd really like to see some pics of a similar setup. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 09:01 AM
Team Member
John

Do you have the A.I.M.? It shows all the parts for all the different combinations.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
John

i don't have pics, but that is how mine is set up. One fan belt turns the alternator and water pump, a second turns the power steering.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 09:34 AM
David Pozzi

I have some info on my page.
If you are going to rev the engine at all, I recomend switching to the Z/28 deep grouve pulleys.
Either way, you add a PS pulley that bolts inside the crank pulley (either single or double crank pulley) and add the pump and hoses. The pump has it's separate belt and your other belts stay the same.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 05:02 PM

67 and 68 used the same mounts for PS pump. The mounts are different depending on whether the engine has an 8 inch balancer or 6 3/4 inch. Z28 and SS350 had 8 inch balancers. The pump brackets for a 327 won't clear the large balancer. The pulley on the pump itself also differs depending on which PS pump brackets you are using. The PS pulley on the crank is the same except for the deep groove Z28. The PS pump mounts on the drivers side below the alternator.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

My car was originally a 327 but now has a 350 with an 8" balancer. However i also have the smaller balancer also, just in case. Which brackets should i buy for the ps pump? I have the pulley that goes on top of the crank pulley but i dont have a pump pulley yet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 05:01 PM
David Pozzi

Classic Industries shows the correct one. E278 for Z/28 and SS Camaro.
It comes with adjuster bracket. $49.95

The bracket for the large dampener has tubular pieces that surround the mounting bolts to the block. These two bolts pass through both lips of the mounting bracket.
The low perf bracket is a one piece stamping and comes closer to the dampener and has holes in the front lip for a socket wrench, and the two mounting bolts to the block are very short as they only pass through the rear lip of the bracket.
The separate slotted adjuster bracket fits between the pump bracket and block and has a brace that angles back to the motor mount bolt.
David

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 03:36 AM

You also need the correct pump pulley to go with the Z28 brackets. Use the Z28 deep groove pulley or the much easier to find 350 pulley. Part number is 3770509. It was used on 67-68 350 and I think all 69 smallblocks. It can be found on most early 70s smallblocks. The pumps from 69 and up, while slightly different, will fit with no problem.
The part number on the pulley is on the backside which makes it hard to see when its on the pump. The pulley for the 327 will not line up with the crank pulley when the Z28 brackets are used.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 07:59 PM
David Pozzi

Here's a photo of the pumps and brackets from my web page. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...zi/pspumps.jpg
If you had asked this question in any other section of this forum I would be able to post the photo so it appears here, it's not allowed in the general section because of the higher traffic.
LEFT a high perf PS mount and adjuster bracket, this one clears the large OD high performance vibration damper on the crank. To the right is a low perf bracket and pump with low perf
stamped pulley.

To the rear, is the 69 style pump and bracket. This bracket bolts to the long water pump which has a boss cast into it.

------------------
David's Motorsports page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 04-23-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode