Paint or Engine...Which one First???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm just about to put the rear-end back under a frame-off resto of a 67 coupe. Due to finances, I can't afford to buy the ZZ4 and get it painted at the same time. Which in your opinion should I do first? Get it painted, or buy and install the engine? The doors, fenders, glass etc. are off. I think I should get it painted, since we are planning on taking it down to metal and changing from Red to Yellow. My first guess would be to get it painted, and then get/install the engine, tranny and then fenders, etc. Would like your opinions, since this is the first resto I've attempted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 04:34 AM
Senior Tech

I would suggest both, sort of. If you already know what color you want, get a quart of it. Hit the jams and other hard to get to areas now, while the car is apart. Then you will not have to take it apart again later.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / Blown (As in Broke)
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP
**How fast is just a matter of how much $$$ **
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Lets see, I just did mine(nut and bolt resto)and I cut it all in first and then installed the engine and tranny(ft. clip is off). Worked out great.

Painting the car is the last thing you will want to do before doing the final trim out.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech

killerB- I have been right where you are for about six months now (paint shop is taking a long time). I had the car all the way down to the frame, took the motor in to have it rebuilt and towed the rolling chasis to the body shop with the front end off and all paint stripped. The body shop felt it would be best to take the engine and put it in the car once it was rebuilt to a) make it sit right so they could line up all the body pieces and b) so I wouldn't scrape the heck out of the new paint putting the engine in etc. I followed their advice and have to admit, it was a breeze loading the motor in without the front fenders and all on. You said that the car is already mostly or all apart and you probably can't spend the money to do paint and motor at the same time. I think it is 50/50 which you do first as either order has it's +/-. Knowing what I know now though, if you have all the body taken apart, I would go ahead with the paint. I think it will be easier to pull the motor carefully after the paint than to go through the process of putting the body together and aligning the parts and then pull it all apart again for paint later on. And who knows, if your paint job takes as long as mine, you will have the money saved up to do the motor before they are finished anyway!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 05:09 AM
Tech Team

Definitely go through the powertrain before performing any body work. The probability of damaging that expensive paint job is very high when you're constantly hanging over the fenders with tools and heavy parts.

A typical restoration process usually begins with the mechanics, then bodywork, and lastly, the interior.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/dmdirks/Automotive.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

67killerb: Here's my 2 cents, I would tend to agree with the first reply to your post, as Mark stated, if you can shoot all the hard to reach places now, then you can put the motor/tranny in, put the car back together, and then save the bulk of the paint work for afterwards. I wouldn't want to see you put the car back together just to take it down again. I like to do things right the first time.

------------------
1969 RS/SS CAMARO
350 / 4 spd. Rallye Green
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Guys, Thanks for your input. I guess my thought was (after talking to the paint shop I think I am going to have paint it) to tow it to the painter with the fenders, doors, hood, off. Let him paint it, Get the engine, and install it before I reinstall the fenders etc, while I have easy access to everything. Then finish the interior. The painter didn't seem to care if he was painting it as one whole car or with the fenders, doors etc off. I thought this might be easier for a couple of reasons, One being I can protect the subframe and rear springs, differential etc. from overspray easier if the engine and tranny are out of it. I know you need to be very carefull when re-installing the fenders and doors so you don't chip or scratch anything. Again, the other reason, would be that it will easier to re-install the engine with basically everything on the front-end off. What do you think?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

There are merits to both ways. Every car I've painted was completely stripped of the drivetrain, fenders, doors, etc. When you paint the doors, fenders separately you will get better coverage in the jams, side edges, etc. And no matter how much you try there will be overspray on your new engine, etc. if it's in the car when it's painted.

However you do have to be very careful upon re-assembly. In my opinion it's worth the trouble to paint it separately.

Jody
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 00, 01:49 PM

I'm also torn between which way to go 67killerb. It has got to be easier to spray areas like where the front fenders wrap around under the hood, and at body seams with everything off. I think the paint would look more uniform (especially if you are using a metallic color) if you sprayed it all together. I'm thinking about spraying all the the hard to reach areas, and going ahead and spraying some of the color coats at my shop with it back together, then taking it to the painter to get color sanded and the clear coat applied in his clean shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode