1st gen camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 01, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

i have been looking for a 67-69 camaro for awhile and cant seem to find anything in my price range that is not a basket case.
i am looking for a project car with little to no rust or an old bracket race car. it does not have to have a motor or trany. just a solid straight body. i dont care about options or #s. i am looking to spend around $4000 is this unrealistic or should i just keep looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 01, 09:58 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds realistic to me. Just keep your eyes open. There's alot out there just depends on your area. I could find a decent '68 here for that with a good motor/tranny. Summers comin up so just keep checkin the sunday papers.

If you want email me and I'll look around too, I'm in denver though.

I'm pretty sure I could get you a RS for 6000 with a motor/tranny in good shape. Also in vegas every year they have some kind of rod convention I think. (so my old man tells me) I can see when it is and get the details if you want.

If you spend the couple extra grand up front for a good car up front you won't be disapointed.

Also always look in the inside trunk for quarter panel bondo and take a magnet with you when you go to look. Magnet's don't stick to bondo.

[This message has been edited by 67stock (edited 02-16-2001).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 02:13 AM

I think you can find a California car and have it shipped to you for that. It won't be a Z but you might find a SS or RS. Check the for sale pages of this site regularly and look elsewhere as well. You'll find what you are looking for if you have patience.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 06:00 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
This thread has a link to a car on ebay... www.camaros.net/forum/Forum2/HTML/000747.html I am not trying to scare you away, just showing it isn't all that easy!! You might have to look for a long time if you really want one......

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 07:56 AM
Tech Team

When I see a car like that I don't pay as much attention to the price as I do to what it will take to get it into decent shape! $4000-$6000 for paint and body if it is not TOO bad, interior $2000, drivetrain $3000-$5000. Before you know it you are into it $15000 plus the original purchase price. That does not include the hassle factor of trying to round all the stuff up. IMO a person is better off buying one further along that somebody else has sunk more into than they can get out. The diference in buying a $10k and a $4k is usually worth it. Again that is just my opinion.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 03:07 PM

Lightbulb

I disagree ,,,,,,,, allthough you are probably correct about the $6000 paint $5000 engine and so on you know that you dont have to do all that , everyone does not want a 100 point show car ,,,,,, you can start with a fair body go to a junkyard and get a later model car with a small block and all the bolt's and bracket's rebuild the engine and go !!! if you just wanted a nice driver this can be done for a reasonable price ,
just curious but what kind of engine cost's $5000 buck's ??? I added up the cost of building a small block with every internall part NEW and could not come up with a figure like that factored in machine work and all ??

------------------
67 RS 327 deluxe tach gauges , with 1967 Virginia plates 759-898
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 04:20 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67rs327:
I disagree ,,,,,,,, allthough you are probably correct about the $6000 paint $5000 engine and so on you know that you dont have to do all that , everyone does not want a 100 point show car ,,,,,, you can start with a fair body go to a junkyard and get a later model car with a small block and all the bolt's and bracket's rebuild the engine and go !!! if you just wanted a nice driver this can be done for a reasonable price ,
just curious but what kind of engine cost's $5000 buck's ??? I added up the cost of building a small block with every internall part NEW and could not come up with a figure like that factored in machine work and all ??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're taking liberty here arn't you! The first part of your post was good, then for some reason you went off! I read "drivetrain $3000-$5000" and you come back with "what kind of engine cost's $5000 buck's ???". There are other components in a drivetrain!

To answer your question, the parts alone for my 383 came to $3200. I didn't pay to have it balanced and blueprinted or put together... If I had, the bill might have been $5000!

This goes on and on about finding a cheap, straight, no rust camaro!! There are some out there. The guy that comes here and asks what can I get for $XXXX doesn't have a real good chance of finding that elusive deal. The guys that have had 2 or 3 might! It won't be posted on ebay, it will be setting in somebodys grandmother's garage!! It takes time and energy and a lot of luck!!

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 02-17-2001).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi all, I started this one asking if a fairly straight, not completely rusted out first gen could be found for around $4000,after alot of research and months of searching, I took the advice and decided to fork out a little more up front.....and for digging a little deeper in my pocketI found a 68 camaro that has a brand new interior, a straight and freshly painted body, ladder bar rear suspension with a Ford 9 in rear end, a five inch cowl hood, fuel cell, all braided line, MSD ignition, & set up for a big block. I did have to give $6800 for the car, which is almost $3000 more than I intended to spend, but from what I see out there.....this is a sweet deal !!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 01, 03:28 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Great job fro fro. That was the only point I was trying to make! I have found it better to buy one that somebody has already sunk more into than they can get out. I doubt that you could have started with a $4000 shell and for $3000 ended up with what you now have. I have seen so many guys think they are going to build a car and after a few years and a lot of bucks still aren't done and lose interest. I realize there are a lot of guys at this sight that would disagree but most of these are real diehard car guys not the run of the mill "wantabe" that never gets it done!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode