Carter AFB or Edelbrock vs. Holley - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Which carb. for the $ is the best performer out there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 09:52 AM

This topic can be one that brings out some hostility in people, so I'll try to be careful. I've got a bunch of Holleys, 1 Carter and 1 Edelbrock, and soon I will be buying a Barry Grant Demon carb.

In my opinion if you've gots lots of power and you need a carb over 800CFM you'll need to go Holley or the Barry Grant Demon carb. Personally I think that Barry Grant did some good things to upgrade on the Holley design with stronger metering blocks and main bodies and, as such they come with teflon coated gaskets and power valve protection. Holleys on the other hand can warp the metering blocks and the main bodies. Holley recommends their "sticky" gaskets to seal properly and that's what they come with. Except getting those things off with a power valve change takes time and patience.

Edelbrock just came out with their 800CFM version of the Carter, and I have 2 of the 750 CFM carbs, one a true Carter and 1 is Edelbrocks version of the Carter. I like these carbs alot. I don't run them on the car at the track because I need more CFM, but if I could I would try. The Carter is on my other car and it really responds well. It is super easy to tune and jet changes are super fast. Well not that your actually changing the jets, but the metering rods, which affect the jetting. Plus a quick change of the spring at the power piston and you've changed when your power circuit comes in. These carbs have zero gaskets under the fuel level, so you can't have leakage into the intake manifold. The power valve circuit cannot blow out. And on Holleys, a blown power valve means your dripping gas into your intake, and down into your cylinders, and washing them down.

So, my opinion is if you want a good, reliable, low maintenance, low cost carb that's super easy to tune, get a Carter or the Edelbrock version.

And, the manual choke version is jetted richer than the electric choke version. In the Edelbrock catalog they state the manual choke version is jetted for maximum power and the electric choke version in jetted for maximum fuel economy. What you can do though, is get the manual choke version, re-jet the primaries (if the 750, use .110 jets), and get a new set of metering rods (if the 750, 75x37) and you can have the best of both, your cruising circuit will be set for max economy, but the power will be set for max power. I've done this with both my Carter and Edelbrock carbs and it works great.

[This message has been edited by BIGDOG454 (edited 02-16-2001).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Thanks alot BIGDOG454 sounds like you know alot around carb's. I juggling between buying a 750 carter afb or a holley 750 doulbe pumper. I have a friend who wants my single 600 holley and things are lining up. I like the response of the holley too!! But I have my eyes fixed on that carter, So you say go with the manual choke version huh!!!! Interesting!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
David

For aftermarket carbs, I've had the best luck with the Edelbrock. The Holley is better for power, but a pain in the *** and not as good for overall driveability IMHO.

------------------
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

I use the Holley for the horse power on the track but for dependability on the street I use the Edelbrock electric choke.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 04:44 PM
Tech Team

I recently purchased the new holley street avenger. It is awesome. The best throttle response I've gotton. It is also much easier to make adjustments on. There are a lot of good carbs out there but in the years to come this carb is going to make a lot of people happy.
Dan
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 05:19 PM

I've ran many Holleys and I think they make the best power. Hard to tune and tempermentale on the street. They were all ahnd me downs so that might have been the problem. I bought a new Eldelbrok 600 in 94 and drove it cross country with my foot in it. Got about 19mpg with a mild 327 and doug-nash 4+1. I love the drivability of it. Miss the power the Holley made though.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Another 2 cents here. I've owned and worked on Holleys and Edelbrock's for quite a while and I like the Holleys. I'll tell you why . . . My impression is that there are many more size selections with the Holley so it's easier to get a carb sized exactly right for your application. You can also pick between the vac secondary (I like the vacs for street / auto trans setups) and the double pumper (I like them for man trans setups, but the DP's are a pain to dial in). I also think parts are a lot easier to find (like every Pep Boys in the US has float gaskets, jets, accell pump cams and squirters for a Holley - try finding Edelbrock parts at your local parts store on a Saturday afternoon). I think all three you mentioned are good carbs and would all run great when dialed in right - it's just what you're comfortable with.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech

Also you can buy a power valve protector for $8 at Jegs. It says it wont fit 4010 or 4011 though.

Also check out Q-jets. I run a 600 electric choke edelbrock. I wanted a manual cause it has more options/jetting. But it runs good and it's easy to tune in. Very user friendly, I tuned it in before I knew squat about carbs. EFI is my next mission.

[This message has been edited by 67stock (edited 02-17-2001).]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 01, 11:33 PM

My original Super Sport came with a Carter Series D (Daytona) AFB. I have owned and raced several Carter AFB's. I've held track and class records with them. I have run single and dual Carter setups on several different manifolds, and the Holly double pumper is hard to beat from both sides of the fence.

My opinion, the QuadraJet, (and I've rebuilt a bunch) is a good idea, two little, two big, that is a temperamental pain in the A..............

[This message has been edited by 97 SS (edited 02-17-2001).]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys all for your replies. I know I'm going to take the 600 single feed off here in the next couple of weeks. You guys make it hard to choose(hehe!!!!). You all have great comments on the carb's. The Holley I have on the car now has great response, just not enough bump on the top end. I was serioulsly looking at the Holley 650 double pumper! I ran Q-jets in the past too and love the feel response and sound of one finely tuned in. So I guess it's like someone said, it's all in what you want to do. There all probably good carb.'s!!!!!!!! Thanks Guys!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 06:01 AM

Hey Danny,

Actually, I did not mean to limit you to the manual choke version. I should have mentioned in my earlier response that if you want the electric choke, and still want to set it up the way I suggested, simply pull the original 75x47 metering rods and drop in a set of 75x37s. Then you don't even have to replace the jets since the electric choke version comes with .110 primary jets.

What this change, and the one mentioned for the manual choke, accomplishes, is you get what Edelbrock calls jetting for maximum fuel economy in your cruising circuit, and then the full richness for power when you put your foot in it and pull in the power circuit. And you can adjust when you want the power circuit to come in by changing out the power piston springs.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 02:53 PM
Tech Team

I had an Edelbrock on my 68 and its was junk.
I couldnt get it tuned. So I put out $300 clams and bought a Road Demon. What a beautiful carb. So easy to set up and tune and the maching is beautiful. Highly recommended.

Hope this helps you out.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 05:02 PM
Tech Team

I've had 3 Holleys and 2 Edelbrocks, and I can't say anything bad about the Edelbrock, its cheap and it works good.

The Holley DP gives more control and power.
But you're wallet better be thicker than your brain because its spendy and its not easy to work on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode