did they make a 427 camaro that wasn't a Yenko - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 01, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

`I know that this is probaly stupid question, but did G.M. make a 427 camaro that wasn't a Yenko. The reason i'm asking i called Classic Industries in California today and was wanting to put some 427 emblems on each front fender of my 69 camaro so i asked the salesman for a set of the emblems for the car and he told me that G.M. didn't put the engine in the 69's that Don Yenko was the only one that did this. I thought that Baldwin- Motion made two of these. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 01, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

**** , I think I hit some magic button and sent my post before it was finished...here goes again.
GM did produce 427's in 69 under the cOPO program. These were plain jane looking cars, with no badges or stripes, and dog dish hub caps. There were Double COPOs whick included 15" ralley wheels.
These cars had cowl hoods and spoilers, but the rest of the backage was all "go fast stuff" 427/425, M21 or TH400 tranny, and special 4.10 rear.
Yenko was the most famous dealer to purchese these cars, and add stripes badges, wheels, etc.
Yenko 427 badges are being reporduced, and go on the cowl hood and tail pan. I don't think 427 badges are made for the front of the fender, but you can get some for the back of the fender below the "camaro" badge.These were originally for the 67 Yenko. You can also get 427SS badges for the center of the grill and (i think) the tail pan.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 01, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Wow, I wrote a four letter word for human feces, and the computer made it four asterisks! good thing I didn't say ****!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 01, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I got some 427 emblems at a swap meet. I think they were for a corvette though. All the #'s were seperate, and they were a little smaller then the originals but might work for ya. I put mine on a fiberglass cowl hood and it looked good.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 01, 03:14 AM

Not all COPO Camaros were equipped with D80 spoilers. That is an option. All of the Yenko order used the spoilers...BKH
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

Spooky, or anyone else, any idea if they made "396" emblems the same way? About how tall are the digits? Who would be a good supplier for Vettes?
Thanks!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 10:01 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

IMO the Impala 427 emblems look good, but are kind of expensive. I bought a pair from Impala Bobs but have yet to put them on. From looking at some of the pics of a couple of Baldwin-Motion Camaros, my GUESS is that is what Mr. Rosen used on his conversions. The SS427 emblem I have seen on a cowl hood installed on a B/M camaro looks identical to the 68 SS427 trunk emblem of an Impala.www.impalabobs.com

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 06-12-2001).]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 02:00 AM

Hey unreal the COPO cars also came with the m-22 rockcrusher.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

The M22 was not part of COPO 9761 or COPO 9737, but it could be ordered as an option, much like vinyl top, etc.
They definately were not part of Yenko's batches of cars. I seem to remember reading that Don Yenko thought they were too noisy. Brian can tell us for sure.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 03:28 AM
Tech Team

The COPO cars could have the M20, M21, M22, or turbo 400. Our Chevelle has the M20. Unlike most of the Camaros, the Chevelle seemed to come with what ever you want. Some were pretty well dressed.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 05:17 PM

Yenko felt that the M21 was a good transmission and the extra cost of the M22 was not worth it in his cars. Yenko Camaros are for the most part sparse. Vinyl top, Endura bumper, and Power steering are the only factory options that we have ever observed in a Yenko. The turbo 400 could be had in 1969 in place of the M21. COPO's as Unreal has stated could be ordered in many different combinations. For those that will be at Carlise for the huge GM event myself and Marlin Spotts will be giving a free seminar on the Yenko Camaros and Novas. We will have a huge amount of memorabilia along with a few examples of Yenko cars to talk about and look over. If your attending and want to learn more about these cars please attend. I would love to meet some board members. The seminars are Friday and Saturday. I am unsure of the time as of yet...BKH

[This message has been edited by bkhpah (edited 06-12-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode