trannie kickdown - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 00, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Question

I recently bought a 69 camaro that had the intake and carb replaced with aftermarket parts. The kickdown bracket and cable were not reinstalled. How important is this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 00, 12:00 PM

The owner before you probably down****ed manually. it is not really important if it doesn't bother you to do the down****ing.
josh
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 00, 04:25 PM

excuse me, I mean downshifting.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 00, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

I may be wrong here but It may be a problem. If the tranny was rebuilt with a manual shift body it will be ok. But from what my tranny guy told me is that if the tranny has an autoshift body you will need the kickdown because after time there will be damage.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 03:46 PM

If the car still has the stock th350 tranny the T.V. cable only controls forced downshift. the modulator controls upshift timming and quality. If the car has a th700R4 transmission (no vaccum modulator) the cable is verry important. It controls upshift timming, shift quality, and if the clutches are slipping or not. regaurdless of how the tranny was built, no T.V. cable will cause the tranny to slip or burn up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 01:52 PM
WE4
Tech Team

The kickdown cable does more than forced downshift. It raises line pressure to assist in boost and holding power under throttle. It will eventually hurt trans if it is not funtioning and car is beaten on hard. It also effects WOT upshift points. Hope this helps. TH350 I presumed.....
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!"
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
John

Sort of on the same thread, I just rebuilt my TH350 and when I place the selector in D1 the car will not move. If it is moving slowly in drive or D2 and I move it to D1 the car will quickly stop. Could I have possibly installed a sprag backwards? Otherwise all other selector positions work properly and the car upshifts and downshifts as it should. What do you tranny guys think?

John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 08:08 PM
WE4
Tech Team

It's not the sprag. Can't put in backwards.. Hrmmm....only way to lock up is to apply two gears at once. Something else is applying. Must have a bleed or crossleak somewhere. Is manual valve synchronized to lever position?
Unless you forgot a clutch in lr and it (the piston) is appling so far forward that it is contacting the rear ring and pinning it.
Either way, you defintly have a problem that needs to be addressed.If you need more help let me know. I am in Santa Rosa for Xmas and will be at RPM engines in Rohnert Park on Tuesday,(dec26) morning. 860 Martin Ave. If you would like to meet and try to solve you can meet me there. Let me know.
Thanks
Bruce
We4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!"
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode