Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 99, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I just returned the seat back panels I ordered from R_ _ _'s (Fill in the blanks. Hint it's a tropical fish desease). They have white when nobody else does. I have a white hounds tooth interior and the order desk assured me they would match. When they arived I opened the box to find 2 glow in the dark white glossy panels... Ok so I have to paint them was my next thought. Then I got to looking at them and couldn't believe the only finished edges on both panels ws the hole where the seat latch goes through the panel. Would you believe these glossy white panels had been cut out by a band saw! All the way AROUND!!! (I guess the mold was larger than the final product and they had to be trimmed for final fit.) On one I found a 3/8 - 1/2 in. band saw cut right into the side of the seat back!! Well I call R_ _ _'s and express my displeasure with the product, tell them the color was the least important factor and that I won't be using these panels on my car. The rep gave me a return authorization number and told me they would credit me for the parts and shipping. I thought this was good business and promptly shipped them off.

Now I get the refund minus the shipping and call them back to find out why! The rep tells me because I didn't like the color he couldn't justify the full refund. I ask about the cut caused by the saw and the way the edges were not finished!! He said nothing was mentioned about it, but all the edges were that way "its just how they are made" He then told me he would take another look and give me a refund if I didn't hear from him.... Well an hour or so later he calls me back to tell me he couldn't find anything wrong!!! Well I started to get mad but was trying not to show it when he tried to sell me a black set as they are made better and since I had to paint them anyway... He said it even stated in the catalog that they were better made! I didn't have it with me to verify and just told him I would never order from them again! I got him to look at the seat back again and got him to admit it was cut. His last offer was to refund me half the shipping and I left it at that. I guess I just paid $8.95 for a $4.00 catalog I won't be using!!!

Sorry for the long post but I had to get this off my chest. By the way I checked page 8 in the catalog and guess what I should have been able to tell the poor quality I was getting as the black ones stated "New! Improved!"

I know there are poor quality aftermarket parts out there but to here "thats the way they are" and "there must be nothing wrong with them because we sell 2-3 sets a week without complaints" is the part that burns me up! I expected something like "Sorry, we sell 2-3 sets a week and you must have got a bad set. Can I hand pick the next ones for you!". I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT MANY OF US BUY THIS CRAP AND JUST LIVE WITH IT!!!

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
www.fbody.com/members/topless69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 99, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

i have never ordered from them. i did get a glove box liner from year one that was suppose to include the speed nuts for easy installation. no speed nuts, so i called and the said they would take care off it. about 3-4 days later i get a package. in it is a brand new glove box liner with you guessed it ... no speed nuts. gave up, but at least they did try. i have been very pleased with NPD so far. their selection may not be quite as wide, but they are usaully 10% or more cheaper on most items and to be honest i think about 80% of all the products in any catalog all come from the same main supplier.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 99, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech

It seems that the phrase "The customer is always right" is no longer a way to generate and keep business. I have been encountering more and more of these type of encounters with "businesses" . I do not know if it is because the customers are getting complacent or if these businesses really feel that people will patronize them no matter how they treat the customer. Well competition helps keep prices in check maybe "GOOD SERVICE" will come back!!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 99, 03:45 AM
Senior Tech

Been there and done that!! when redoing the front drums on my 68 i ordered wheel cylinders and the flex hose for both sides, what i recived was the one front cylinder and one rear cylinder and the rear flex hose. of course it was like pulling teeth to fix the situation. i can tell you i have been in the customer service industry for over 20 years and its very frustrating for me when i must deal with these situations, bottom line dont accept inferior quality and dont pay for it, if enough customers say hell no ill go somewhere else theyll get the hint and get better(or go out of business).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 99, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

Man this is a touchy subject for me. I think I have had some kind of problem with almost everyone I ordered from at one time or another. People working don't want to help or don't want to bother with you if you have a issue. If you have to return it you have to go through all the steps and lose out on shipping so some people don't bother and thats wrong because you are letting them get away with it. The biggest issue is the quality of the crap they make nowadays for everything. Technology has come along way but you would never know it. No one takes pride anymore. Now its just get it done, get it done as quickly as possible no matter what you have to do. Its just like buying replacement parts at a auto store. Instead of making 5,000 good ones like they used to they make 15,000 cheap quick ones and give you a lifetime warrantee which you have to cash in on at least twice because the parts sucks, then they don't tell you the warrantee is only good for one exchange. These vendors kill me with "just like original", "better than GM", "original guage metal", and my favorite "superior repro". Some are ok but there is alot more junk than decent stuff. You know, I just can't seem to figure out why some repro stuff falls right to......while the original stuff lasted thirty years or so.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 99, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech

Sorry to hear that. I get mad just thinking about it, especially considering that many people like myself have spent a great deal of money on parts from them. It really seems like it's hit and miss and there's not a f*#&%ing thing you can do until you get the parts. Some of the stuff has been great, and some of it crap.

------------------
Shawn "My Camaro is a money pit" Peterson
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 99, 05:33 PM
Greg

It's a shame that most of the repro stuff is crap. I've seen very little that looked and/or fit like the original stuff. A few years ago I ordered a black set of seat backs from I think the same vendor..... exact match I was told, couldn't wait but when I opened them the graining wasn't even close to original. Back they went. I'd rather see a car with good original pieces (even if they're not as nice appearing as the repops)than a car with tons of crap repops manufactured offshore by someone who used to work for Kathie Lee. Most of the vendors are in business to sell repro parts so it's really hard for some of these guys to be fully honest when you ask if it's like the original. What they mean when they answer yes is it's as close as you can buy and should work.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 02:43 AM
Bri

The only way to "get them back" is to spread the word as to which places bite and which don't. Keep the info flowing.

------------------
Bri
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech

I know you guys are mad, but re-read the last line of the Team Camaro rules statement.You should have already read it when you signed up .This isn't a forum to Supplier Bash, I know everyone likes to be informed about quality and craftsmanship of repo items, but when problems arise, take it to the company officials,write them a certified letter describing your problem, and what you think is an amicable solution to the problem.Tell them you expected a correct reproduction, and wasn't given that, so you expect a full refund of your money,plus your costs incurred in shipping them back and since it was represented wrong, you don't expect to be penalized for your return, by them charging you a restocking fee.Go to the top, don't fool with counter people.I've had good results with the items I have had to return using this approach.If you get no responce, Email Al, or Dave, and ask them to voice their opinion, and they might be able to influence them a little. Just my .02!
Sorry Dave, I had to edit to include you,since you are the moderator.

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 11-28-99).]
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Doug, I think you are reading bashing into this! The product sucked! The supplier only heard what they wanted (issue of color) not what I said (color, quality & damage)! I did as you suggested. Contacted the supplier!!! They would only split the postage! I am living with that and they can live with 1 less customer!

The big issue is when it came out in the wash they know the product is crap! And know most consumers will live with it "we sell 2-3 sets a week"! It's our faults they do this!
It's the American way! "Let the buyer beware!" Make the easy buck at someone elses expense!

I gave a factual account of what happened when I used a mail order service in hopes that if others are forwarned they won't settle for inferior products or service!!!

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
www.fbody.com/members/topless69
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

I may have been reading it with the wrong perspective, who knows.I have never personally dealt with them, but I have a friend that locates and sells them used parts.They are based a few hours from my house.I have talked with them at shows though, and they (He Himself) seemed genuinely honest in his selling ,and truthful in his description of his parts he had on hand that day. Things may have changed since he went BIG though ,or this could have been a bad batch from the manufacturer.Sucess has a way to spoil even the best people.But, you got your money back, minus $4.95, is that correct?You mentioned a $4.00 catalog for $8.95, so that's where I got that from. If all you are out is $5.00, Hell, I can't even eat lunch for $5.00. If you are out more than that,I would write them , especially if the amount is over $30.00.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 99, 07:56 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Actually Doug, you are right. We normally don't have postings that single out any one supplier but this one we let slide. It's a no-win situation for most of these discussions as it involves only one side of the issue and they have the potential for mis-understandings. We don't verify who registers for this forum, so we can't allow much in the way of supplier discussions.
Al
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 99, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech

I've been keeping a close eye on this one, and I haven't seen too much in the way of bashing, just a little venting...
The problem I see with the reproduction stuff is that there are some things that are just not high quality items, and we are forced to "make them work" because if the item was retooled to be correct and exact, you couldn't afford it.
I do restorations on the side, and I see very few parts anymore that are just no good. There are exceptions, and this is one instance.
Time to let this one die, folks!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 99, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech

I have been following this myself. I don't believe anyone should be allowed to call something a restoration, when they are completed with cheaply made imitation parts. I have looked at alot of cars for sale for big bucks, with garbage parts on them. Good old NAFTA and Americans are unable to produce anything of any quality anymore. I have seen firsthand the quality of the reproduction sheet metal body panels. Some came with a car that I purchased.I called one supplier and asked how the new full quarters were, as far is quality is concerned? He said "They're OK". I said "OK Huh?". I'm glad to be made aware of the quality of these repro. parts before I waste my money on them. I have decided to go with NOS GM quarters and tailpanel. I know it will cost alot, but I refuse to use Taiwan or "OK" panels on my good old American Musclecar. I have decided for any other parts that I need, to go with the best used or NOS parts that I can find. There is nothing I hate more that buying the same part 6 times because the next one looked a little better than the last one I bought. Thanks for the info, Rick
'68 Camaro SS 427
'66 Yenko #YS-100
http://infoweb.magi.com/~gaube/corvair/yenko05.html
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 99, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech

Don't forget that if you use a credit card to pay for your parts you can always contest he charge if the company won't work with you. That makes the supplier get involved and put out a little effort to get their money. They can't just stonewall you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode