PCV problem on new motor - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

I having a problem with my pcv valve. It seems to suck an obscene amount of oil out of my valve cover. Two laps around the block and the engine inhales about 3 tablespoons of oil. - Not good. I have two, yes two baffles before the pcv valve. I am wondering if my large camshaft has anything to do with it. my cam specs out at 255 @ .050 w/ 600 lift on a 106 center. I make 7 to 9 inches of vaccum at idle. Do any of you with big cams run a pcv? I used to run without one on my old motor but I'm tired of the oil smell, leaks, and oil blowing out of the valve cover breathers.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 01, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech

Hi..
I mean to be the party pooper
BUT... that cam is totally not needed in a street engine..and is robbing mucho HP at street level driving..
Also... PCV is NOT something you put on a performance engine...
A PCV takes all your blow-by and mixes into the intake, thus diluting your intake charge also it increases the temperature of the intake charge..also no good..
In theory the PCV is not a bad idea for collecting the unburnt fuel in the blow-by and re-charging the intake with it...BUT in a performance situation the PCV valve will let OIL get by with big pressures...and it is this oil that will cause massive problems when mixed with the intake charge..
You need to use ONLY breathers and to plug up the PCV inlet on the base of the carb...
CHEERS
Chris
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 01:24 AM
Senior Tech

I agree...use a breather on each valve cover and you'll be set. I have run this setup on engines much milder than yours and never noticed any oil smell or had any underhood smoke or leaks. Of course, this was on fairly fresh engines...if you have a lot of blowby, it could get kinda messy, but that beats sucking oil into the base of the carb.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

I have a 396 with a cam that idles at 11" of vacuum; don't know any specifics on it. I also have a high volume oil pump. Puts too much oil to the valve train.

I have a crankcase evacuation system that pulls vacuum through the header collector. At high rpm I pull oil out of the engine pretty severely. I can go through a quart of oil in 50 miles if I'm driving hard. Doesn't use much oil at all if I'm not "in it".

I was thinking of going to a PCV setup to reduce this. Maybe I shouldn't?

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well I ditched the pcv in favor of 2 breathers. However, I'm wondering what would happen if ran the side of the pcv that normaly goes to the vaccum port, into the air cleaner base. Since there is some vaccum there it might be enough to pull the air out of the crankcase, but not the oil. We shall see...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Your problem is obvious. You need to swap engines with me.

------------------
New! Vintage 45's and a homemade cowl induction air cleaner. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode