replacement for quadrabog?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 01, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm sure there are lots of opinons on this one - I'm thinking of replacing the quadrajet on my 83 z28 (305), I'm loosing my mind trying to get the thing to run right. I'm looking for a minor performance increase and something that's easier to dial in - any suggesstions on a good, well-priced replacement 4bbl? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 01, 04:12 PM
Tech Team

Smile

opinions vary....but edlebrock 600cfm.....very easy "out of the box" running
easy to tune too
however if you know how to tuen em (which i dont) you cant beat a holley
edlebrock also makes replacement quads as well

good luck
Nate
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 01, 04:33 AM
Senior Tech

I like the Quadrajet. Tuning's not bad...good mileage, and about 750 cfm. I'd have the Q-jet rebuilt by someone qualified and you'll have a carb as good as any. My opinion.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 01, 10:45 AM
Tech Team

Hello All,

Seems to be much discussion about Quadrajunks vs Holley or Edelbrock. I have the edelbrock performer 650 i beleive (just bought car). How does this stack up to others???
anyone feel free to reply
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 01, 12:48 PM

Cool

Quadrajets have always done me right!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 01, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Edelbrock Performer. No question. I have Quadra on my camaro to maintain originality & it can run really well. BUT for out-of-the box, slap it on, and don't touch it - I love the Edelbrock. My '71 truck had the 600 performer: 2.5 years, 40,000 miles - never touched it! Had Holleys - always fiddled with and never seemed to get 'just' right for very long.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 01, 12:19 PM

i've heard (not saying it's true) that the edelbrock carbs are specifically made to work with their intakes and they may not work as good w/ a stock intake. is this true or can you just bolt em on a stock manifold and go?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 01, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech

Off the three I had - One went on "normal GM Crate motor (low hp) cast iron intake, one went one a full tilt ZZ4 Crate (350+hp), and one went on a medium rebuilt 350 with a performer Intake. The ZZ4 carb had minor adjustments for max power, the other two were bolt on and go.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 03:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Talking

I just put a Holley 4150 series carb on my 327. I used the suggested settings for the jets found in the instructions. The setting for the high speed jets was perfect. The idle jets were a little rich, so I adjusted them using a vacumn guage and now it runs purrrrrrrrrfect! I like the 4150 series because it has mechanical secondaries and is a dual feed (fuel). The Holley 4160 has only one fuel bowl and has vacumn secondaries.

------------------
68 convertible
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 09:12 AM

I'm running an edelbrock 600 on a stock GM intake. Works fine for me, easy to adjust, Holley tended to dump raw fuel so I dumped it.

------------------
Jim Byrd
1970 350 four bolt, .060, Speed pro hyper pistons, stock crank and rods, '77 vette GM manifold, edelbrock 600cfm, comp magnum 280H cam, '993' 75cc heads, comp springs, manley valves 1.96"-- In 1972 Nova, aka Camaro killer.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the quadrajet is a great carb, we have one on our 58 Impala (327) that runs great - but they sure frustrate the [email protected] out of me when they're not working right. I've tried so many things to get my '83 running right that I can't remember what I've changed, so now I have no "baseline" to work from and it's running worse than ever. I'm at the point where I want a quick fix, and from the sounds of things the Edelbrock performer is the way to go.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The Edelbrock is more user friendly. But, the Holley is very tunable and not difficult to set up when approached with some knowledge. If you want ease of use, go with the Edelbrock. But, like all carbs, check your jetting after a few miles. Out of the box is just that - best approximate.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 05:55 PM

81 and up QJets were computer controlled and are pure hell when something glitches. It seems like when one thing goes bad thats all she wrote and you might as well look to the aftermarket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode