1969 Camaro RS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Talking

I just purchased a 1969 Camaro RS in hugger orange. I haven't performed a restoration in 14 years and I am very rusty. I have a bunch of questions but I don't want to bore everyone with my stupidity. Is consider a blasphemy to use repro body panels from a place like NPD or can I still get true GM replacement panels from my local chevy dealer. I need to perform a frame-off restoration on the front end, can a guy do this at home do I need to take it to a body shop. I have all the tools known to man in my garage......whats the best way to restore the front subframe? sandblast and powder coat...who performs this service/...body shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 01, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech

Sandman

I would suggest checking all the past questions in the "Body Shop" section of this forum. There is a lot of good info there and if thier is something you cannot find, write a new question and I am sure someone should be able help you. Be forwarded a restortation will cost 3 times what you think and take at least 3 times as long. Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 01, 08:15 AM
Tech Team

I just happen to be doing this very thing to my 68 (although I'm not replacing any sheet metal...it's all good), so maybe I can provide a little insight. The biggest question is this: are you doing a concours restoration or just trying to "restore" it to be a driver? If you are not doing a concours resto, stay away from repro panels as much as possible, but be aware that original panels are harder to find these days, and very costly (especially q-panels). For repro panels, shop around and check for quality...all are not created equal! I'm assuming you're trying to do a driver since you're talking about powdercoating the subframe.

On the subframe, shy away from sand blasting. Use some other blasting media, or use a stripping disc and a drill. Sand pits the metal badly, and I don't think you'll be happy with the results. Powder coating (with prep) seems to run in the $250-350 range for a subframe, or you can go with POR-15 http://www.por15.com/ . I've talked to several people that have used POR-15, and they are all happy with the results...sort of a poor man's powder coating. Completely rebuild the front suspension. I'm using NPD's http://www.npdlink.com/flash/movie.html overhaul kit ($215, includes all bushings, ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, connecting sleeves, and idler arm), and NPD's springs ($56, TRW). Don't forget your radiator core support, wheel housings, control arm bumpers (upper and lower), subframe bushings and hardware, fender skirts, etc...it adds up quick!

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!

The Monday Nite Car Club! (New site)

[This message has been edited by 76Maro (edited 02-18-2001).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 01, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply....I appreciate the information and I think you have a great point about sandblasting the subframe. I have a pretty good selection sanding disks I could use I guess. I hear when you are trying restore back to factory, that most people paint the subframe the correct GM black...I wonder if the por-15 will make it look factory. Can you spray on por-15 or is it brushed on? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 76Maro:
I just happen to be doing this very thing to my 68 (although I'm not replacing any sheet metal...it's all good), so maybe I can provide a little insight. The biggest question is this: are you doing a concours restoration or just trying to "restore" it to be a driver? If you are not doing a concours resto, stay away from repro panels as much as possible, but be aware that original panels are harder to find these days, and very costly (especially q-panels). For repro panels, shop around and check for quality...all are not created equal! I'm assuming you're trying to do a driver since you're talking about powdercoating the subframe.

On the subframe, shy away from sand blasting. Use some other blasting media, or use a stripping disc and a drill. Sand pits the metal badly, and I don't think you'll be happy with the results. Powder coating (with prep) seems to run in the $250-350 range for a subframe, or you can go with POR-15 http://www.por15.com/ . I've talked to several people that have used POR-15, and they are all happy with the results...sort of a poor man's powder coating. Completely rebuild the front suspension. I'm using NPD's http://www.npdlink.com/flash/movie.html overhaul kit ($215, includes all bushings, ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, connecting sleeves, and idler arm), and NPD's springs ($56, TRW). Don't forget your radiator core support, wheel housings, control arm bumpers (upper and lower), subframe bushings and hardware, fender skirts, etc...it adds up quick!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 01, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Two words come to my mind -- Take pictures Take pictures Take pictures

Did I suggest to take pictures? I thought I did. Good Luck

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode