Dash Pads - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 00, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have tried to have my old dash pad recovered,should not have waisted my time. Now I have found that CARS INC in Detroit have some in stock for 169.00,my question is these pads are made by classic industries has anyone used them and have you had any problems with fit. Thanks Garry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 00, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Garry, I bought one about 8 years ago and it fit fine just be careful when you bolt it down not to over tighten it and draw it down to tight!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 00, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

What year dash pads are you guys talking about?
Thanks, Rick
'68 SS 427
'66 Yenko

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry Rick it is a 68 Camaro
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 00, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Garry,

You may want to do a site search on your topic. It has come up several times in the past. In short, I have one of these repro pads and spent the better part of a day to make it fit right. I'm looking for a reasonable used one with the chrome so I can have Just Dashes rework it. This part ranks in my top 3 of most unfavorable repro items.

------------------
To see a picture of my car http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 01:55 AM
Senior Tech

CarlC,

I contacted Just Dashes to redo my 69 dash. I was told that they do not do Camaro dashes.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Ugh! That stinks. I hadn't checked with them but ASSummed they did. Did they give a reason for not doing one of the most popular dash pads in the world?

------------------
To see a picture of my car http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Have you guys tried http://www.dashtops.com/index.cfm

71 Camairo

[This message has been edited by 71 Camairo (edited 03-29-2000).]
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 00, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Carl,

Just Dashes only does parts that were covered in vinyl. For example - 70 to 81 Camaro and Firebird dashes and consoles. The consoles are made of fiberboard. Vinyl is heated, formed to the proper shape, and then glued down to the fiberboard form. When you need to restore, simply strip off the old vinyl and apply the new (you need a big expensive vacuum machine to do it right and Just Dashes usess them).

Our dashes on the other hand, are made of some type of molded foam glued to a stiff fiberboard backing. There is no vinyl covering.

I understand it costs about $650 to have a 70-81 Firebird dash restored by Just Dashes. Even if they could do our dashes, it would be cheaper to find an NOS or good used one.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my new and improved website at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech

O.K. For the record Just Dashes DOES recover 1968 camaro dashes. I just dropped off my dash pad for recovering. They not only recover it but replace and reshape the foam padding below the vinal covering. It costs $280 for this process. However after hearing the numerous posts about how "well" the aftermarket re-pops fit and discussing with CarlC about how much fun it was to install an aftermarket pad, I gladly chose to plunk down the extra $100 to have a pad that will actually fit right back in. I am anxious to get it back, I'm sure it will turn out great. while at Just Dashes I got a chance to see and touch some "before" and "after" dash pads. I have to say the quality was first rate. I will post my results when I get the pad back.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech

Correction:

My turn to AAAAAAHHHHHH! I just read their e-mail to me. Just Dashes does do camaros, but it does not do the 1969 model year.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech

Things are looking up for my '68 afterall!! I will have no problems spending $280 for something that fits and looks like it's supposed to. Ohhhhhhhhh Yeah !!! Mine has 1 crack right in the middle of it. Thanks for the info.
Rick
'68 SS 427
'66 Yenko,'37 GMC,'46 Chevy COE,'46 Willys,'48 GMC COE,'61 C40,'68 C50,'81 Chevy LUV I-6 Turbo Diesel,Too many more!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 07:13 PM

Silver 69
Did they say why they don't do '69? Just wondering because I have a '69.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech

No reason was given. I remember reading that the backing was changed in 1969 to fiberglass. This material warped in the heat and the pads pulled away from the backing. Maybe they don't do the 69's because of these problems or just working with the old backing is a problem when restoring the dash pad. Just a guess.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 03:37 PM

RESTORE A DASH PAD FOR $10!! I VISITED AN UPOLSTERY SHOP AND LEARNED HOW TO RESTORE A PAD CHEAP. I TOOK MY 68 PAD AND BONDO-ED THE CRACKS AND SANDED SMOOTH. I WENT TO AN UPOLSTERY SHOP AND GOT A YARD OF MADRID BLACK VINYL FOR $7 AND A SMALL BOTTLE OF CONTACT CEMENT FOR $3. HEAT UP THE VINYL WITH A HAIR DRYER THEN APPLY THE CONTACT CEMENT TO BOTH SIDES. WORK THE VINYL WITH THE HAIR DRYER ON THE EDGES. IT LOOKS GREAT. I HAVE SINCE DONE 3. THE CAMARO GUY, BRUCE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode