350SS to 396SS How To? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hello
I have a 350 SS convertible that I am converting to a 396/375HP so far I have the Block, Intake , Carb, Heads, but I'm wondering if any one has a complete list of what it would take to finish also note the car is a manual and I have the 11 flywheel and bellhousing
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech

Check previous posts it has been gone over many times. Take a look at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...aro_engine.htm

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I think there is something different about the trans too right?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Nope, Trans is the same, but the crossmember is different.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 06:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I'm trying to come up with the right way to say this without coming off accusing. I know a big block SS would be more desireable than a small block SS. Once you swap to a big block it will never be a numbers matching car again and will always be a small block carwith a transplant. If numbers arn't important then getting all the little details right shouldn't be an issue.

Ultimately it's your car and you can do what you want with it. Something you need to think about when turning your car into something it really isn't, is too many folks clone and try to (and actually do) represent the car as something it isn't in an effort to get top dollar. Even when the builder doesn't intend for the car to be misrepresented he has no control after the car is out of his posession. I don't know your intentions and as stated, this is the part I don't want taken wrong. The site is here to benifit Camaro owners and further the hobby of building and restoring Camaros. The information that can be gathered here can also be used to set the hobby back.

I hope you find the site as helpful as the rest of us have. You may want to pop over to the Tag Team forum and list your trim tag and vin for the CRG folks to add it to their data base. That would also be a good place for you to gather more information.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 01, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

DJD Thanks I've already signed up with the CRG guys. I have no intention of misrepresenting my car in fact I'm keeping the entire original engine intact just in case I want to sell it so it will be original.another problem I have is the car is tagged Daytona Yellow and I want to paint it Lemans blue but if I were goning to sell it the title and the tag says it should be blue
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 01, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech

Good points DJD. I could better understand these swaps if foks were replacing 6 bangers. But to yank out a numbers matching SS-350, drop a non-matching 396, adapt the suspension, change the heater box, motor mounts, fan shroud, exhaust flanges, Z-bar, accessories, etc, etc,...all in the name of adding 46 cubes, makes little sense to ol'Sleepy. Don't forget a big block car weighs 200 pounds than a sb. My opinion.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 01, 09:41 AM
Senior Tech

I agree with the last 2 posts. No one likes BBs more than me but the car becomes nose heavy, most the time all it does is smoke the tires and use gas. If a car can use a BB do it but an early Camaro is really not one of them. I will recieve much flak over this but it is my opinion.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 01, 04:39 AM
Kevin

Another route to go, would be to replace the intake and carb with the Z/28 versions, get a better cam, have the heads (041,186) redone for 2.02/1.60 valves with pocket port job. Maybe changing the pistons. You would get some more HP without sacrificing the originality and be a lot easier (less money) than putting a BB in.

If your really want much more torque and HP and want to retire the original engine, get another small block and make a 383. The 383 is very close to the BB in terms of torque and HP if you build it right. It will look like its original without changing all the extra stuff, but it will run like a bat outa hell!

There are a bunch of 383 69 camaros on the board, they can attest to the benifits of a 383.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 01, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I am not opposed to clones (since I'm building a Yenko clone, I guess that's obvious) However, I think clones should be made from cars with lost drivetrains, or 307's or I6's. I hate to see a numbers SS350 become a non-numbers SS396 clone. It's your car, you can put a 6 in it if that's your desire, but I agree with the other posters that you might be ahead to soup up your current engine, or maybe replace it with a hot small block. (I would do nothing that can't be easily reversed, and hang on to all original parts)
In my opinion, a numbers SS350 convt. carries more value than an SS396 clone.
In the end, though, it's your decision.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 01, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Wink

One other thing I failed to mention is I have a brother-in-law with a 66 GTO 389 tri power and we are having a pissing contest thats why I need the 396
Get it?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 01, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

YOu need to check out the other post showing the link to the replacement (ya right...total lie) cowl tags. For $300 bucks they will replace your orginal tag with a brand new one. I am sure it is amasing how so many people will get the X44 code accidently confused with the X33 (X22 in your case).

Anyways this would complete your X22 or X66 Conversion. Let me know if you want this link.

For the record, my old X11 tag is still on my orginally 350 SS. Although a X33 would sure look pritty there (just kidding).
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 01, 11:23 AM
Jeff

Thumbs up

Tes you can get new trim tags made. No they will not change the style. IE they will not make a base Camaro an RS---SS---RS/SS---Pace car or the like. nor will they change the X designation from one X to another>
__
Jeff 67/68 & 69 RS's
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 01, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One other thing I failed to mention is I have a brother-in-law with a 66 GTO 389 tri power and we are having a pissing contest thats why I need the 396
Get it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds rather immature actually. So your changing a matching numbers SS350 cause someone is teasing you.. okay.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Scooby Doo (edited 08-20-2001).]
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 01, 04:22 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Hey Scoob, isn't that why YOU made your car faster? Actually, I think most of us built our cars fast in the first place so we wouldn't have to worry about getting teased.

Lift, I agree with the rest of the guys. I think a 383 would be a great way to go. It will be MUCH EASIER and CHEAPER than a big block swap and you can make it look as stock as you want. A well built 383 will make as much power as your brother-in-laws 389.

The best part of a small block swap is that you can get your brother-in-law good.

"Oh, I just added a little stouter cam" or "Yeah, the new intake, carb, and headers really let that old engine breathe"

He will never know what hit him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode