Info on HEI's fitting in 1st gens - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Thumbs up

Was talking with some camaro guy's this week.
I noticed they all had HEI's, (a group of 3 together) and they didn't have to smash the firewall in.
Told them about the discussions we've had about some camaros having the clearance and others not.
They said you have to swap the mounts side for side. And the lip has to be ground off or they won't sit flush with the frame.
Ahhh, I seeeeee.
Just thought I'd pass that along.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech

mine fit without a hit, and it has a very large cap on it too, i got it for a 74 camaro but it works and fit just fine.

Ive never heard of the grinding off of anything.. but if it works,. hey...

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech

My 67 has the aforementioned "modification" about switching the mounts. I did not do this mod, the guy I bought the car from must have. However, he didn't grind the lips off the mounts, though, so the lip bent up when they were reinstalled.....stupid!!! Plus, you will have to modify the transmission crossmember since the engine will move forward about 2 or 3 inches by flipping the mounts....guy did a crappy job on mine. But, I have plenty of clearance behind the distributor, although the guy NEVER INSTALLED AN HEI!!! I wonder how this affects the handling of my car with the engine being a couple inches more towards the front of the car than it should be????
Any thoughts on the handling issue (esp. David Pozzi???)?? The more I think about this, the more I wonder if this could be the source of some of my car's high speed vibrations........

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350
http://156.143.134.136/default.htm

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 04-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jrt67ss350 (edited 04-23-2001).]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 05:42 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I think there are different mounts for our cars. I have shared this before, a friend of mine has a stock 307 '69 ragtop. His engine sits 1 1/2" - 2" closer to the radiator than mine... If I recall there are 2 mounting positions in the frame for the crossmember also. I read somewhere that moving the engine back is good for handling... It distributes the weight better through the whole car..

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech

My 383 sits on original six cyl mounts. I used a hammer on the firewall for clearance when converting to HEI. I didnt really do that much, it's not really noticeable.

Our cars are already a little nose heavy...moving a 500 lb engine 2 to 3 inches forward can't be a good thing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

My69gofast is totally correct, what people do when racing is is move the engine back for more traction at the rear wheels. But regarding the info Steve has brought to light, I have a friend who has an HEI and is willing to install it. He doesn't care much about handling, I don't think he runs his car at more than 50mph anyway. If it works is a good hint.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 01, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech

Oh it works all right, but I don't like it in my car. Next time I pull the engine and/or tranny, I'm going to put it back in right.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 03:07 AM

Question

What about electronic distributors like Accel or mallory. They seem to have smaller bases and caps than a standard GM HEI distributor. Has anyone tried one of these with any success???

------------------
69 RS 350 (under construction)
98 GMC Sierra 1500, Z-71, X-cab, K&N
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 06:32 AM
David Pozzi

No measureable effect on the handling.
There would be problems with a four speed shifter fitting the console, etc.
A long time ago I calculated moving the engine on a friend's sprint car, left and right.
You need to move it a bunch to make any substatial difference. Like maybe 6 inches or more.
And even then, on a Camaro moving something smaller like the battery from front to trunk is equal to moving the engine 15" back!
which would you rather do? move the engine 15" or the battery to the trunk?
I'd rather go with a small body HEI or swap a HEI module into an early point distributor.
I've got a couple of early corvette "mag pulse" distributors with tach drive that I use in the Lola. It triggers the MSD unit I use.

The mag pulse parts will swap right into the early point distributors and you could use an HEI module to trigger it or any MSD etc.
the problem is the mag pulse parts are getting hard to find, and expensive.
I've seen photos of the distributor Dave Ray does and that looks darn good too.

I have to put a warning in here that I recurved an HEI for my truck and it was the first HEI I've done since I got a distributor machine.
I had to grind hell out of the weights to make it advance quick enough and do a LOT of work on it. If I were doing them for a business, I'd charge triple to do them!

If anyone uses the HEI and just puts an advance kit into it and expects it to work like doing an early point type distributor, they will be dissapointed. This is definately a distributor that needs to be professionally set up.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 04-25-2001).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have an Accel in my 69 small block. It's all electric, including advance. No vacuum. Clearance is fine and the car runs great. This is with their 300+ ignition module. I can pull the model number if anyone's interested. The specs are 24 degrees advance ( at crank! ) in by 2500 rpm. I run 12 initial and have an M-20 with 4:10's in a high compression 355. Love it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 07:00 AM
Tech Team

have heard some not so good things about the mallory unilite however mine works great and was one of the easist things ive ever put on the car.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 11:13 AM

I use hei in my 69 with no clearance problems.I have vacum and an accel on top. Its on a 327 with a m-21.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 11:37 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
David,

You've got me hands down when it comes to suspensions and handling, I would have thought moving the motor back a few inches would have changed the cars center of balance for a positive effect on handling.

I must say I too am impressed with the overall quality of the Dave Ray product. I just received mine yesterday and don't have it installed yet but it looks mint! His documentation is also high quality... I will report on function when installed.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode