Anyone put in ford 9" in 67-69 Camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I was thinking about putting in a currie 9" rear in my 67 Camaro. Anyone ever use a currie or any other 9"? Did you experience any problems? How do you like it?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech

I have one in my '69. I found a local guy a few years back that set it up for me. It was an easy bolt-in as far as the rearend itself was concerned. I used the stock lower plates and substituted 1/2" u-bolts for the Chevy "t-bolts". Of course, the driveshaft had to be modified and I added rear disc brakes so that was a separate challenge.

The rear works great other than a persistent axle leak on one side which has more to do with my seal installation abilities than the rear end. The only serious comment I have is that you should upgrade the spring perches. The stock Ford type are wimpy and mine collapsed during a particularly fine burnout. I replaced them with some Chrysler heavy duty units and added bracing with all the seams fully welded. Now if something breaks it won't be the perches!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 02:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PERKS67-396:
I was thinking about putting in a currie 9" rear in my 67 Camaro. Anyone ever use a currie or any other 9"? Did you experience any problems? How do you like it?
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took a ford 9" out of a 57 wagon. The spring pads were in the exact same place and the housing was 3" narrower so I could put on wheels with a little more offset. The only thing I should have done was get 31 spline axles with the GM bolt pattern. Other than that the only thing I had to do was the driveshaft which I got out of a fairmount. It works great!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I called up Currie and told them what I wanted as far as gears(370) and the car it was going in, and the type of brakes I wanted(11"drum). I also had the unit powder coated gloss black.
When it arrived, the brakes were all assembled. The whole kit ran 2726.55 del. to my door. I delt with Kent Anderson. He's very good to deal with. I'm very happy with the unit and no problems putting it in the car. With the hp. of the 502 motor I didn't want to worry about the rear braking. Besides, I don't baby this car at all.
A great choice.

502 Bob

------------------
69 Coupe LeMans-Blue
Frame-Off Resto, ZZ-502/502 Crate, A/C, Griffin Rad., March Serpintine Sys., 2800 Stall with Hughes T-400, Currie 9" with 370 Gears.
www.mobiletools1.com

[This message has been edited by mobiletools (edited 03-13-2001).]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 01, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I know I've talked to you about your 8.2 before, but I don't know if I mentioned the 9" that I can build for your car. I figure I can build a very good rear end for around $1500. I use the original type spring mounts so there is no problems with mounts that don't work. It can be any width you want so if you want a litle more offset in your wheels it's not a problem. I know I'm not close to you so the shipping may be a little high. I only use the best parts; US Gear, Timken, Moser and so on. I made some contacts on some nice disc brake conversions recently or your stock drums will bolt on. You have my e-mail address so let me know what you think.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode