69 heater core - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 99, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

My Heater Core is leakinng and has to come out, what is the procedure to remove it to get it repaired? The Car has Factory A/C. Do I have to take any of it apart, i.e., the fender well, etc.?

[This message has been edited by sbarnes (edited 11-28-99).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 99, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

Remove the hoses (catch the antifreze). Unbolt the outer housing from the inner (the outer is in the engine compartment the innner is inside the car, the studs are welded to the inside housing and the bolts are on the engine side). Remove both inner and outer housings, pull the heater core out from the inside of the car, get a new core (it is not easy to repair the old ones and new ones are around $45), and put it back together (do not over tighten the hose clamps!!)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 99, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Replacing the heater core or fan on 67-9 GM F-body A/C cars is a real pain. The two most difficult parts to get to are the lower-right mounting bolt and the lower heater hose. If you have small hands and arms you may be able to reach the lower RH attachment by loosening the lower fender/wheelwell and reaching up inside. The lower heater hose is a bear. Before I bought mine someone had drilled a 2" hole just in front of the nipple to ease access. I would not do this unless the wheelwell was removed from the car. You do not need to remove the evaporator case on the engine side of the A/C system, but you need to remove the two nuts on the engine side of the case. The top one is easy, the lower one is more difficult since it is buried behind the engine. Getting to all of the cables and ducting attachment screws can be challenging if you do not remove the ash tray, radio, and glove box. Be careful when taking off the cables since the attachment points are fragile. It was also worthwhile to spend an extra hour and re-seal all of the ducting and deflector doors in the case with foam tape. It is amazing how much better it works with all of the leaks fixed. Good luck.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 10:42 AM
chuckdetroit

I have a heater core new in a box for 50.00 Send to paypal [email protected] and I will ship it to ya asap!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode