single to dual exhaust hanger mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I want to change my '68s single exhaust to a dual. For the dual hangers, do all the mounting holes already exist or am I going to have to put new holes in my floor pans? I've looked through the factory assembly manual but the best illustration (pg. 360) doesn't show into which part of the car the hangers are going--it looks like the floor pans.

I got an estimate ($325 parts & labor) from a local shop for duals with aluminized pipe and turbo mufflers--is this reasonable? The tech said he would probably have to mount additional hangers from the floorboards--something I'd like to avoid.

I'd like your recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 00, 04:51 PM
Tech Team

Cool

As far as the hangers are concerned there are not holes already. Mine are located under the back seat for my Flowmaster system.

The $325 sounds reasonable. Not an exhaust guy so not sure if there is another way to mount the hangers, dont think so though.

Hope that helps. Sean
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 00, 06:32 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
only stock hangers i used were the one over the axel for the stock single muffler, other two for the tailpipes i had to use self tappers into the inner rear quarter,and be sure to use rubber isolators.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
William

I believe there are 2 pair of holes for exhaust hangers above the rear axle. On single exhaust cars the LH holes may not have weld nuts. There should be 2 holes in the LH frame rail for a tail pipe hanger. For dual exhaust the factory installed Rivnuts in these holes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 00, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Would OEM-style dual exhaust hangers support turbo-style mufflers in the stock resonator locations? The tech didn't think they would without additional hangers. Are turbo mufflers really that much heavier than the stock resonators?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech

Re: single to dual exhaust hanger mounting

I noticed that on my '68 on the drivers side above the rear axle, there is a threaded nut inside the frame rail, facing down (looks like 5/16"). Is this indicative of factory dual exhaust (SS) ? I have a pic of this, but no way to post it. Thanks, Ron.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Factory 67-68 dual exhaust cars used 5/16-18 Rivnuts for the front RH bracket and 1/4-20 Rivnuts for the LH tailpipe bracket. Single exhaust cars have small pilot holes in these locations making it easy to mount dual exhaust hangers correctly. Just drill out the holes, install the Rivnuts, and bolt on the dual exhaust hangers. 1967 Camaro Exhaust Hangers

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 05, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech

Farm Boy,

Thanks for the reply ! The threaded nut that I have a question about is located right near the rear shock. After reading what William said in this post, I was wondering is if this nut meant that my car was a factory dual exhaust car. My car had been rear ended hard sometime before I got it, and there were metal plates welded over the rear frame rails where the riv nuts could have been. I can e-mail you a pic of the nut that I'm talking about if you'd like; I don't have any way of posting it. Thanks, Ron.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 09, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I believe there are 2 pair of holes for exhaust hangers above the rear axle. On single exhaust cars the LH holes may not have weld nuts. There should be 2 holes in the LH frame rail for a tail pipe hanger. For dual exhaust the factory installed Rivnuts in these holes.
Do you know if single exhaust 69 Camaros had pilot holes where the dual exhaust plate attaches on the outer left frame rail?

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 09, 09:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melav8r View Post
Do you know if single exhaust 69 Camaros had pilot holes where the dual exhaust plate attaches on the outer left frame rail?
Yes the holes are there but not the plate that the factory used. The holes are there and threaded in front of the axle too.

Jeff
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 09, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Yes the holes are there but not the plate that the factory used. The holes are there and threaded in front of the axle too.

Jeff
Thanks for the reply, the ones in front of the axle your referring to must be for the snubber bracket?

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 06:15 AM
Tech Team
Jim

are these holes you are referencing right above the rear axle in the bottom of the frame?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 11:37 AM
Retired
Jim

threaded holes in front of the shock is for the rubber axle bumper.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I was refering to these holes

it's where these mount

Jeff
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 11, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
RJ

Are these brackets shown still available, and do they bolt up just behind the muffler. Also will they align properly if using a Flowmaster 40 system?

Thanks
RJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode