poor acceleration - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy

I have a 67 327 engine. edelbrock performer rpm intake, 600 cfm edelbrock carb, crane powermax med power cam. When i floor the car form a stop there is no performance. It doesnt bcakfire or stall it just totally boggs until it gets to higher rpms then it is much better. I was wondering what could be causing this and what could i do to stpo it. Thanks in advance.

------------------
1967 camaro 327 coupe
Performance engine looks great, cherry red all flush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 08:04 PM

Sounds like it may be lacking a sufficient squirt from the accelerator pump. On the other hand, it is possible it may be getting too much fuel and is kind of choking itself a bit. Experimenting with these two conditions will tell the tale. Sorry I can't be of more help.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 08:04 PM

what kind of tranny and rearend setup you got? ratios can make or break a car

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 08:54 PM

first of all there not very much of a torqe monster but if u wanna take off good here ya go try this setup performer intake , 4.10s , and mabey u have a little bit to much cam? i would go with a 490 lift comp cam if u ever swap em , but really the 3 angle valve job will help a 327 produce some pretty good torqe also , but i must say i love them motors

[This message has been edited by camaro79tx (edited 04-22-2001).]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech

Have someone stand behind car when you punch it. If a puff of black smoke comes out of the tailpipe when it bogs, then it's getting too much fuel. If there is no visible puff of smoke, then it could be a lack of fuel.

And there's no need to swap out the cam unless it's too big...Crane makes fine cams too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 01, 11:35 PM

Sounds like a carb problem to me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 03:24 AM
Senior Tech
John

i would have to agree with the others that it is probably the carb. Work with that first before you start tearing other stuff apart.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

i think that you may want to consider your intake. originally i had a holly contendor duel plane intake and a 1 inch spacer. this was with a 292 comp cam. the cam and intake werent meant to come alive until about 3500-4000 rpm. when i switched to a more mild cam for streetability i did not change the intake, and noticed that i had a flat spot at about 2000-2500 rpm with a cam that should be coming into its power band there (114 lsa). When i took the 1 inch spacer out, i noticed a huge difference. you may want to get one of the more technical people to explain the reason for that to you. I think it has something to do with air velocity below the carb with the spacer in there. The reason i brought this up is because it sounds like you have the same problem. I heard that the rpm is nothing more than a performer with a half or 3/4 inch spacer on top. (cant remember exactly)
Hope this helps.

chuck

------------------
67 rs/ss 360 blue w/black vinyl top
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech

Cover the basics first...timing, idle mixture screws, make sure the plugs and wires look good, etc. Did this problem just start to happen or was it after installing new performance parts? I had a similar problem with the 600 edel on my truck...I had to change to a 7" step up spring and 4% richer on the primary metering rods...plus set the accel pump rod on the middle hole on the pump arm...plus play with the advance curve. One other thing too...check those floats...my carb was brand new and the floats were a mile off...that made a noticeable differnce in my top end.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 06:43 AM

Have you checked or got new heads? If they are dirty it will bog very harshly. If they are new you might have gotten heads developed for higher rpm torque, since the heads are getting a work out they wont get the airflow correct until it gets enough air.

daniel61
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode