Anybody ever hear of the 1LE back in 68-69? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Question

The guy I bought my crossram from said he had a 1LE Camaro Z28 back in 69. He said it was 1 of roughly 35 made. He special ordered it strictly for drag racing and when the order was processed, Chevrolet called the dealer to ask if it was for racing and they said yes and he got the 1LE option. He said he received the stroker crank, piston and cam upgrade at a minimal price. He's going to send me a copy of his window sticker. Has anyone else ever heard of the 1LE from 68-69?

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Joel

I bet he is talking about a COPO car but I would love to see the window sticker.If he comes up with it please post it for all to view.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Jeff, I think he's on Crack. We call it the Crack option.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 00, 06:44 PM
Tech Team

Cool

They must have had some good drugs in the 60's! I bet the original DZ302 came in the trunk!!
All kidding aside I've heard some tall stories of rare "special order" cars from the 60's and some I know are true and some are B.S.. If the guy produces and invoice and docs on the car,who knows maybe he had some factory connections or was a factory backed drag racer?(unlikely but possible).I have never heard of the option,but I don't claim to know them all. Cary

69 Z-28 R/S Daytona Yellow

------------------
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

He said he worked at a dealership and he bought the car specifically for drag racing. It will be interesting to see if he can find his original racing pamphlett from Chevrolet and his window sticker. He said the sticker price on his 69 Z28 was $3080. I'll let you know what I find out.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Jeff,
You know I'd like a copy irregardless of what it shows.

Thanks!

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech

I think he may have been around (too much) in the late '60's. I think he may have lost track of time and is talking about a 1989 1LE option? No such animals in the '60's or '70's. I love it how the stories get better as these cars get older.
Rick
'66 Yenko
'68 SS 427
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 06:33 PM
Tech Team

I have a copy of a dealer invoice and bill of sale from a 69 Z-28 that my buddy currently owns. Retail on the car was $ 4377.60 and dealer cost in 69 was $3550.40. Either this guys car was a stripped race car and he paid cost,or his memory is going away?
If anyone wants some cool info on retail and dealer cost of options in 69 let me know.The bill of sale even shows the original owner traded a 64 Impala SS 327 4-speed and paid $3000 difference for the Z-28. Cary
--------------
69 Z-28 R/S Daytona Yellow

------------------
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

I'd like a copy.
We collect factory documentation for 67-9 Camaros if anyone else out there has any.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech

If possible I would like a copy also please.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 09:45 AM
Tech Team

I talked to my buddy just in case he had a problem with me sending copies of his docs and he said no problem as long as I blocked out few digits of the serial number for his personal reasons? Let me know if you see anything wrong with them,he would like to know about it.
I'll e-mail copies out tonight,I'm not very good with my scanner so we'll give it a try.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

He's trying to find his window sticker, but he said he ordered the car with the Z28 high performance package, 4 speed, power disc brakes, special ducted hood, special instrumentation, chambered exhaust and HD 4.10 gear ratio. Maybe he got it for dealer cost since he worked at a dealership. I just hope he can find the race prep booklet he said he had.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 12:28 PM
Tech Team

Question

I thought I read that chambered exhaust wasnt available after like Nov 68,and the Ducted hood wasnt available till like Jan 69.I dont have my books handy.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

The chambered was available until the end of April 69 and the cowl hood became available sometime around November 68 I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode