"VERY RARE MOON ROOF" ??????????? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 99, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

check out this '68 on ebay. is the moon roof an aftermarket item? never heard of one on a '68. looks like it's in the vinyl roof.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=212543060

------------------
pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 99, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

I don't believe it. I think someone should email this guy and ask him to give us the RPO or COPO number for the "moon roof" I have never seen anything like it. Maybe Curt S. will have some idea. I can't email him, becuase I don't have an account at email.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 99, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Nicely done. I saw another on ebay a couple of weeks. It cranked back into the headliner. Neat.

But not factory. It would need some GM Engineering documentation to prove otherwise.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 99, 05:20 AM

This may be real. I have read in one the Chevy magazines (@1990) of a 1967 Camaro SS shipped to GM of Belgium, where it was assembled and had a moonroof. The car was brought back to the US, and featured in the article by the owner, out of Colorado. The car came up for sale in Hemmings Motor News in @ 1996. I do not know where it went from there. The speedometer read in Kilometers. If this is a French Car, it should also read in kilometers.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 99, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

A little more digging shows that the moon roof apparently was a real European dealer mod option. It has been seen it several times. Don't think it was a RPO.

But....

So little is known about the Belgian plant.... If anyone has any information, please let me know. Thanks.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 99, 03:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I sent the seller of this car an email last week when I first saw it. My thinking was if it's what the seller says it could be a real find! Well the seller was real slow in replying but finally I got a reply yesterday.

Not much info was provided, the car went from the US factory straight to France. The seller has the French title, EPA shipping papers and Georgia reg. since it has been back in the US. There is also a factory GM/France tag on the firewall.

Not sure if this guy is motivated to sell! I have emailed others in the past, asked a couple questions and gotten back pages. This guy sent 2 lines. 1 the car speaks for itself (at least in the sellers eyes). 2 the guy doesn't care if it sells or not!

Kurt, care to venture at a price assuming it's as advertised?

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
www.fbody.com/members/topless69

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 99, 06:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

I don't know about the 68 Camaro but I read an artical stating that in 1970 there were 3 prototype Camaros built called the "Hurst Sunshine Special". It had a sunroof, emblems, and a special shifter. This sunroof design was later used as an option on the 1971 Nova.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 04:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I used to own that Hurst Sunshine Special, yellow with black stripes. It is now in Washington State.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech

Correct, I met the current owner through email and he told me his life story about Camaro's. He is a very nice guy and boy what a collection he's had. Alot of luck followed him also. He also won the ZL1 Camaro that the USCC gave away some years back. He traded the ZL1 for three cars (one being the Hurst Sunshine Special, xram JL-8, and a COPO) and to quote him "and a glove box full of $100 bills". Plus he has some other very interesting cars
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Yes I'm the guy that gave him the Hurst car, a 69 Copo, a JL8 RS Z and a pile of cash for the ZL1 that he won. The JL8 Z did not have a Xram.

[This message has been edited by clill (edited 12-08-99).]
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 99, 02:17 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, your right. JL-8 RS Z, not xram. You would know. Small world. The internet is a wonderful place. You ended up with a real nice car there!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 99, 08:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
No, actually the car turned out to be a piece of C**p. The Camaro club had done a 2 dollar resto on it, then the guy that won it took it apart to do it right but his body man made things even worse. I sold the car and got # 3 ZL1. The other one is being correctly restored now.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 99, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech

You got Porterfield's yellow baby???
What number was the one you got from the Camaro club?? What color was it?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
The Camaro club car was Dusk Blue, # 18. It did have the orig. engine. Also had # 30, still on MSO with Gibbs signature, Hugger Orange car. Yes I have Porterfields Berger car, neat car.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

Clill- did you see Porterfield's old license plate for the yellow ZL1 for sale on e-bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode