Camaro roof panel, unibody info needed - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 99, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Nice forum! I'm a newbie here. I currently am starting a resto on a '69 sport coupe. The car had a vinyl roof, and when I tore it off, there were HOLES everywhere. The largest one you can stick your finger in. What angle of attack do you recommend? Should I attempt to patch the worse areas with sheet metal, or can I just peel off the outer sheet metal, and TRY to find a replacement?

The guy who had it before me treated it to a telephone pole, so I need to get a new subframe. The passenger side floor buckled slightly, but I plan on replacing the floors anyway.
Another quick question...it pushed back the frame boss under the seat brace about 2 inches. Will a frame straightener be able to save it? I heard that laser straighteners do wonderful things.

Do you think I will have sheet-metal alignment problems afterward, or is a laser-straightener very accurate?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving. I will check back soon for a response.

Kind Regards, Manson (no relation to you-know-who)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 99, 01:17 PM
Tech Team

Hi there the only way to fix rust is to cut out the rusted area the weld in new and since it's a roof going from the inside and useing a mig welder with weld thru primer.Be carefull not to much heat, or you will have a bigger problem. As far as laser systems I have one and it has been in the box for nine years.I have much better luck with my continental/chief universal measuring system you can get info from old books and see for your self its right and if you cannot find a sheet for you car you could take measurements your self from side to side or off another camaro and any thing the frame bolts to has to be right or nothing will fit.With a laser if you are off a 1/8 at the rear by the time you get to the front its inches, and don't forget older cars had alot more to play with than new ones such as an older chrysler product allowed 3/8 of an inch while the new lexus is only 1 mil.So stay away from lasers. In plain langage they suck!And if you really want one you can have mine for 5 cases of budwiser.Oh yea I just sold a 66 corvette and it had frame damage from twenty years ago I got ahold of some measurements and set it up on the bench and fixed all kind of stuff it was great! Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 99, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

5 cases of bud huh? What kind of laser? I love the cheif genesis 2 we have. got the bud in the fridge.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 99, 08:23 PM
Tech Team

I would have to look but I can tell you it's no genesis, I think its a blackhawk,and oldIts good for lining up a fence and thats about it. The genesis is a good system for that matter I have used caroliner and it is impressive. I got stuck with this junk when I bought my shop so I am a bit soured on this unit. If any of you In the trade have a chance to take the lexus or toyota course do it, there are many courses and I would recomend all of them. The color course is great they unlike any other course you take is not given by someone selling paint so they spend the time on color theory and not how great there product is and that cuts a lot of bull out.You must have a hell of a fridge if it can hold five cases.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks, Chris! I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. The internet is a wonderful tool to begin with, but when you couple it with die-hard camaro fans, it's PRICELESS!

I will take you up on the 5 cases of Bud, regardless!

I am in Clark, N.J. There aren't too many nice 69's around here like there used to be. Hope I can change that notion, before next spring!

I have another (intact)69 body to play with, so I'll be taking the 350, M-22 and 12 bolt 3.55 out of the 'crunch-wagon' and popping into an intact one, for now.

Kind regards, CHEVY RULES...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

OOOPS Thanks you too Chris, but the original thanks is to AUSTIN...

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode