67 gauge set up? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

my car has a console without the gauge cluster. the original owner put a set of aftermarket gauges in (temp/oil/battery). he told me the original gauges went bad so he put those in and threw away the housing because the new ones did not fit. my question is what is the original set up for the gauge cluster? also, what gauges go in the dash if the car had the console with gauge cluster? my car is a 67 rs/ss. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
David

correct me if i am wrong, but if you're car was not equipped with console mounted gauges, then it had no gauges at all, only idiot lights. my 67 RS has a console without gauges and all it has are idiot lights. Are you saying that someone removed the instruement cluster from the dash?

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

The guy said it did have the gauge cluster that sat on the console, which is now long gone. As for the idiot lights, my car does have the 120 mph speedometer and a fuel gauge in the dash, if that is what you mean. My console has 3 oval-shaped holes, which is where the gauge cluster sat I am assuming. What i am trying to figure out is what gauges went in the dash and console if a car was equipped with the console mounted gauges? Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 01, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech

Question

67's with the console gauge package had a speedo and a tachometer in the dash gauge cluster. The tach went where your fuel guage is. The tach had no idiot lights in it and the speedometer then got a low fuel light and the brake warning light (which is also common with those cars that did not have the console gauges). If your car has an indash fuel gauge, then either this guy swapped out the original tach for a fuel gauge (highly unlikely) or your car did NOT have original console gauges from the factory (much more likely). Cars equipped with console gauges had a cast metal housing that bolted into the console ahead of the shifter that included 4 gauges and a clock in three circular holes, the clock being in the middle. The other gauges were temp, oil press, fuel level, and an ammeter. The whole oval-shaped hole thing along with the presence of an in-dash fuel gauge tells me your car did not have factory console gauges. The oval hole thing must have been a previous owner's method of installing aftermarket gauges.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode