Reproduction 1969 Quarter Panels - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 99, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Can someone give me some advise on rear quarter panels? Who has the best fitting and the best quality panels.
Sherman parts or Tabco are some names that have been mentioned. Also have you heard of Good Mark?
Thanks; Willie..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 99, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

I bought rear quarters for my 68 from Classic Industries. I thought that the panels were good. Little bit on the expensive side.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 99, 10:14 PM

far as i can find all the pannels that the differanet companies sell are made by the same japnieses company,,,, year one, classic industries, front range and others ....the pannels are thinner and can come with some weird bends in them but over all are not bad...orig panels are the best bet though, check the junk yards if you can ....
ps not 100 percent sure on all panels just the ones stated so dont slam me if wrong. these companies are the most used and use the same provider...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 99, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

The reproduction quarter panels that are available are being made overseas, and Classic Industries is the ones having them made. Goodmark just distributes them on the East coast. They are OK, but will need some work to make them show quality. I think the prices are reasonable.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 99, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech

I recently purchased a set for my 67 from NPD and they turned out decent. These were the 90% quarters. The reason that they're thinner is that they're made in metric guages. As Dave mentioned, they need a little massaging to be show quality. NOS are still available, but check your wallet, they're pricey!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 99, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

Last week, I was looking for rear quarters for my '67. I came across a company in the Denver phone book called "Parts Duplicators." They only sell reproduction panels for classic cars and carry a fair number of panels for Camaros. I visited the shop on Thursday and received a great education from their counter guy. He pulled out the quarter that is made overseas (these are primed in black) and then the quarter skins they have that are made in the US. The US made are not primed and I would estimate are 50% thicker guage than the foreign. The cost for my skin was $110.00. Not alot more than what I have seen the "foreigns" advertised for.
He did say that for the absolute best, go with the GM part, but those are very expensive (around $390 from Classic Industries) and I don't need the whole panel.
Their phone number in Denver is 303-428-7181 and I believe the guys name is Matt. I have had their product in my hands and feel it is good quality compared to the imports at a reasonable price. The guy doing the body work on the car liked them also and felt they mated well to the outer wheel well housings I bought. I hope this helps. There are good American made pieces available!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 99, 08:21 AM

If Parts Duplicators are in Westminster, it seems like they are selling Goodmark products. Check out the address here about halfway down http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/retail.html . It seems like Goodmark also sells to the major Camaro parts guys like Classic Industries as well.

------------------
'69 Base Camaro
355, 200-4R trans
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 99, 12:29 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

Has anyone used a 69 repro tail panel? I bought a set of NOS quarters which really hurt the piggy bank. An NOS tail panel is going to be another $350 to save up for.

Thanks,
Marc
69 Z28
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 02:22 AM
Senior Tech

DenverRS/SS, good info but he is definately wrong about Classic Industries selling GM quarters for 390.00 At that price if they had a million of them they would sell out in a day. They do sell the full repro copy of the GM quarter for somewhere around that which is comparable to the other vendors which sell them. Not impossible but unlikely you would find a GM quarter for under 400
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 03:46 AM
Senior Tech

68SS396, thanks for pointing out my error. The quarters shown on page 380 of my Classic Industries catalogue are made by OER I guess. There is a "GM Restoration Parts" symbol by the description but I guess this just means that GM approves them or licenses them or something? I thought because the "GM Restortation Parts" symbol was there, it was a GM part.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech

I have purchased a set of 69 rear panels from classic industries and I feel the quality is as good or better than the factory. I am under the impression that the tooling is made from the origional stamps and because they are fresh they spamp out a cleaner and sharper panel than ones make from the factory.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 01:37 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

Toby,

On the repros, how does the metal look when it makes a sharp bend? Some of the repros I've seen seem to be real wavy in those areas, especially in the back tail area and the wheelwell. Perhaps the quality has gotten better lately? I'm still curious about the tail panels.

-Marc
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 99, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech

The GM restoration logo next to a part does not mean that GM made that part. As far as I know the logo means that GM either recomends it as a "good" quality part, or that old GM tooling was used to stamp the part. The parts can have more blemishes than factory by using inferior grade metals that dont stamp as well as original thickness and grade of metal. Another way that sometimes works is to look at the part # in the parts cat. lots of the venders will use the GM part # if its a true GM part, and that is usually quite a bit longer and than the repo part numbers.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 99, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech

I put a repro tail panel on my pace car, and it does need a bit of work around the taillight area. The stamping of the lock cylinder area is not quite right either, but the fit to the quarters and trunk was excellent. I used GM 1/4's also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode