Convertibles and dual exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket dual exhaust kit in a convertible? I've heard the ones made by Flowmaster, FlowTech, etc. won't clear the brace under the car. I've got duals now that were put on by the previous owner that bang against the underbelly at idle and drive me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 11:26 AM

if you searched you'd find this topic in another post..but one of the guys said it is possible..i think he was using the flowmaster american thunder series and he was going to cure the brace problem by making 1 inch spacers to put between the brace and the floor...i had the same question and am planningn on useing the same system on mine from what poeple have said about it...and form a past post poeple said the flowtech mufflers weren't good quality and uneven so i would think about maybe not goingn with them
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 11:58 AM
Tech Team

The post that was put up elsewhere was a response to my question about Flowtech mufflers.After reading the reply it sounded more like the person was talhing about Flowtech Afterburner HEADERS! Anyways, since I didn't get a lot of feed back and evryone and they're dog seems to be running Flowmasters I decided to try the Flotech mufflers. Although I havn't installed them yet the visual quality of them is excellant. When I've heard them (soon I hope) I'll let everone know what they're like.

------------------
74 Camaro
Canada, eh!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 03:53 PM

yeah nwo that i read it again it does look like he was referring to the headers..sorry bout that crash
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 03:54 PM

yeah now that i read it again it does look like he was referring to the headers..sorry bout that crash
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay, so does that mean that there are no aftermarket systems out there that will fit? I'd imagine someone along the line has done it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 02:02 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
convertibleRS - Get a summit cat... Look through all their exhaust systems. If I recall I saw complete kits for convertibles

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 03:59 PM
Tech Team

convertibleRS:
I too am looking for a system for my 69 conv.
If you should happen to find one, let me know. I would like to go with an orig. style muffler for additional clearance.....

------------------
Mike
69 Conv
www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Screen/1243/Camaro3-1.html
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

Borla makes a stainless system for the convertibles. In the summit catalog they show the system for the coupes but if you call them they can get the part number for the convertibles. In this kit the pipes snake up in between the floor brace and the tunnel. There are two draw backs that I see: The price(I believe $450) and it only comes in 2 1/4 inch diameter. This is the only system I know of made for convertibles.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 24th, 00, 02:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

John is right, Borla has a kit that they showed in Car Craft when they installed an LT1 in a 67 RS conv. It's 2-1/4" which should be plenty of low unless you're running a 500+ hp engine. Again, check with Summit Racing Equipment.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Great, thanks guys. I spoke with Flowmaster yesterday. They said their American Thunder system will fit if you use shims to lower the brace 3/8''. Don't know if I'll actually go with that system, but it's an option at least.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I guess part of this decision process is how important the floor brace is to you. I have a 69 conv without the brace and with a 3 " system made up locally. I have welded subframe connectors, solid body mounts, etc and don't mind the absence of the brace. If the brace is important for it's originality, then it may be a moot point on large diameter exhaust systems. Shimming the brace would be accomodating.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Rick,
I'm not so concerned about the originality, but I'm worried about the so-called flexing that the brace is supposed to prevent. Is the brace really neccessary to ensure body stability? Have you noticed any difference without it?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech

I had a FlowTech catalog a while back and if I remember correctly they sell oval exhaust tubing. Maybe you guys could patch in a section of oval tube to get the clearance? Just a thought.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 00, 01:27 PM
Tech Team

I have a 68 conv. with dual exhaust. The guy that did my systemt ran the pipes through where the support is and then into the flow masters. It looks really good and they dont hit anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode