gm door handles - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

I just replaced my 32year old door handles that were showing a little wear with new genuine GM handles took about 1hr a side too get my big fat hand up and bolt it up to the car tonight while working on the car I looked at one of the handles and the @#$%^&$ chrome was coming off! boy I was p$%^$ I've done a lot of bashing on aftermarket parts but I never expected genuine GM parts to do this and I can't believe you can overtighten the bolts to pop the chrome off you have to work with your fingertips. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 05:32 PM

I just got door handles too for my 68 I hope it doesn't peel off or anything, I'd call whoever sold them to you and B!^@% someone out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 00, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

the local chevy dealer sold them to me and I plan on being there first thing in the morning! gee I wonder if they will pay me labor to take them off!lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 03:12 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I doubt they will pay you for your time, but one thing that I thought Id share. If your car is correct/original and you want to keep it that way, check the thickness of the handle. Compare the new with the old. The older handle is thicker.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech

Thats too bad because you can't tell the chrome is going to come off just by looking at it, only when you install it. Trim Parts makes some nice stuff but I kind of screwed myself on a pair of handles I got from them. They were a gift bought through a Camaro parts vendor but made by Trim Parts. I didn't even open them until a couple months after I got them. One had perfect chrome and the handle was super straight, better than some GM ones I seen. The other one however had perfect chrome but has a "wave" right in the middle of the handle. Not a actual dent but more of a dip and it makes the handle look bad. I can't exactly go back to the Camaro vendor (I don't buy from them anymore anyway) and I can't go back to Trim Parts because I have no proof they were bought from them besides the fact I have had them for months. I know that you can't tell that the chrome is going to come off until installed but I guess my point is check out what you get real carefully and don't wait so long like I did. I haven't put mine on yet because I just can't get myself to put on a inferior part even though my originals are not very nice
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

I just want to add that its not a dig against Trim Parts. I believe they would have replaced it if I went to them or the Camaro vewndor when I got it. I don't bash anyone publically (notice I didn't name the Camaro vendor I don't buy from anymore)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 00, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Ragtopman, your right the handles are thinner on the replacement GM handles I saved the old ones and will have them rechromed for future use the local dealer was going to call the GM parts warehouse and have them pull all the handles and send the best one they have. I hope it lasts more then 2 days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode