Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Question

I've had a problem with my 68 since I got it. The glove box door won't pop open when you push in the button. I have to put a screw driver or knife behind the door and push in the lock, otherwise I can't push it in and release it fast enough to get it to pop open. Is there some spring I'm missing? I kind of remember a spring that went in the hinge of a 59 Impala I had.
For now I solved the problem with a very small round spring I attached at the hole where the rubber bumper should be. That's kind of hoaky, but it beats trying to open it with one hand while sitting in the driver's seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 06:49 AM
Senior Tech

I wish I knew. I think its just a real bad design which is why they changed it. If you find a easy way to do it with one hand and not using any tools so it opens like a normal car post it here. Some engineers are on some good stuff to design a lock that you have to push IN the knob to get the door to open OUT. No quality checks there
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 07:06 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
i have the same problem with mine. i usually can get it open by using the key in the lock and a little wiggling. it is a pain.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Wink

I went to the hardware store and bought a real small round spring (about 1/4" diameter) and cut it off so it's about a 1/4" long. Then I stretched it out so that when you compress it it expands back out. Then I inserted a screw into it and bent the tang end around the screw. This I screwed into the hole where the rubber bumper was. It does cause the door to pop open now but I sure would have thought they would have designed it to work.
I vaugely remember a 59 Impala I had 30 years ago that had a spring in the hinge somehow and I thought maybe the Camaro was supposed to have one also.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 00, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Wink

My glove box also used to be a pain to open.I took it apart one day and noticed that the little "hook" on the lock mechanism,the part that actually locks into the latch,was worn at it's base.So when I was pushing the button in,the hook wasn't moving away from the latch far enough for the door to open easily.I ordered a new lock,I think about $12,and it has worked great even since.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 03:10 AM
Senior Tech

me too, I had the same problem, but mine was in the catch, someone (or somthing) bent it too far and when I depressed the button , it wouldnt move enough to clear the catch, ordered a new catch and it works great. (get some new glove box rubber bumpers while your at it , there only 1.00

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 12:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

My '68 HAD the same problem. Adjusting the plate that the latch hooks into helped a bit, but, when I bought one of those rubber body bumper kits and replaced the two rubber things in the corners of the glovebox opening, it now pops open every time. I think these might get a little flat over the years, and in my case, one was missing.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 00, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

mine pops open on its own driving down the road scare's my wife every time it pops open I always get a laugh when it happens!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 00, 04:05 AM
Senior Tech

Its just one of those annoying things about Camaros, Every one has the same problem, adjusting the latch is most likely going to solve your problem, adjust it too loose and the darn things rattles, too much and you can't open it.
I used a piece of heat shrink over the latch arm and it helps some. Trial and Error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode