4.11 Rear end in 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 99, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a 67 RS conv. with a 327, powerglide and a 2.73 rear end. I have found a 4.11 which they told me comes out of a 68. What I would like to know is, will this work in my car. What I would like, is to have a quick around town kind of car. Will this set up work for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 99, 12:06 PM

Just measure the distance between the perches of the leaf springs. I put together a 4.11 geared rear for my 69RS, it runs about 3300 RPM at 60 MPH. I also put in an Overdrive Trans. out of a Buick Grand National, now I have the best of both worlds. RPM is now 2500 at 60. I found my rearend out of a 73 Chev. Nova. Hope this helps you out! Gene S.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 99, 12:22 PM

For better takeoff in town you might want a 2500 stall converter also. Is you cars engine stock? Headers,camshaft,or 4 barrel carb? Getting better exhaust helped my car out. With the stock motor and 3.73 gears the stock 69 350 and manifolds it ran 15.10 at the track. The very next day I put on headers to try it again, Wow it ran a 14.70 then. I then had the motor done with bigger cam, 9.7 compression,Z-28 intake and dyno max mufflers. Now it ran a best of 13.09, Then I desided I wanted a 12 sec slip. I put in the 4.11 gears, and it slowed to a 13.57, YES it slowed the car, the engine builder said I now need a cam change for the higher rpm the 4.11 gears make. Oh well sounds like this winters project. Gene S.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 06:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd think about trashing the powerglide. you're leaving the line in the equivalent of second gear. t350 is a drop-in, and it'll really help off the line.

gear choice is interesting. I did a 67 a long time ago that was quicker at the strip with 3.73 than with 4.11. with the 3.73 it crossed the line at redline in second. 4.11 i had to shift to third at the first mph light, also had a lot less traction off the line. it was a 400 sb-t350, ran 13.23 at 103 on streat tires, would have run 12's with slicks.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech

Jim M what kind of rpms are you shifting at? With a 26" tire I calculate about 7,500 rpm.

[This message has been edited by MarkM (edited 12-10-99).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 99, 07:21 AM
Tech Team

Good topic. My 69 has 4.10 12 bolt, 4speed and stockish 302 with headers. With 10 year old no traction BFG radials i was running 15.30's at 96mph. I couldn't get out of the hole for anything and shifted to 4th just before the lights. I would expect this combo to be quicker, but I obviously need tires. Thats an interesting point that you went quicker with 3.73's. Just goes to show it's all in the packaging.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 99, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

I have a 67 RS conv. also.I pulled out my 2.73 10 bolt and put in a 12 bolt posi.[with 3.42's though]what a difference a little gear change can make!Ithink some replies got a little off of your original question.I think 4.11's would work out well for your STREET use,the 1/4 mile is a whole different subject.I just hope you are not worried about milage,wear on engine,highway driving,ect.If your posi. is in good shape and the price is right, and it fits,get it,you'll love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode