Painless Wiring Harness? (good or not) - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I need some quick feedback here on whether the Painless Universal Wiring Harness is any good. I ordered it and it's on the way and depending on what feedback I get here I may be sending it back, so please let me know as soon as possible.

1. Are they easy/hard to install?
2. Are they fairly complete or do you need to purchase a lot of other stuff?
3. Personal experiences/stories would also be helpful

Remember this is the Universal harness not the one specifically made for the Camaro

Thanks everybody and your help is defiently appreciated!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech

scalise I've heard both good and bad things about the Painless kit. Several people on this sight have used it with very little problems while others have called it a complete waste of their money. I guess it all depends on your knowledge of electrical systems. Do a search on this subject in the wiring section and you might be able to find more info on installation tips or potention problems. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 08:30 AM
Tech Team

ive never had a problem with them, they are easy to install. all of there wires are now labeled for ease of installation. the only thing u would need to do is keep all the connections from your existing harness to splice them into the painless one. they give you plenty of wire to run it however you want too. the only advice i can give you is take your time. i live 5 minutes from painless wiring and have toured their facility and they put a lot of pride in their product. i truly think you will enjoy your harness, but i cant say this enough: plan how your gonna run the wires and take your time!!!! hope this helps

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech

Great quality products, but the install instructions suck!!!! This may be the reason that some people have had truoble with these kits. However, their tech people are very helpfull if you have questions.

------------------
friends dont let friends drive fords
[email protected]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.So I pretty much just need to save the old connectors to accessories and lights and such to use with my new Painless wiring harness?

Is there somewhere to purchase these connectors in case I am missing some of them?

I don't think Painless would sell them. Would Ricks 1st gen?

I'm glad there is a resource like this available otherwise this project would be much more complicated!

Thanks,
Steve
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 10:24 AM

he kits do come with headlight connectors and the steering colum connections. So you shouldn't have to many problems. I rewired my 85 with one of their kits. It took me about three months to do it only because I only had about an hour a day to work on it. But it wans't very complicated. Instructions are kinda sucky though.

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 11:03 AM
Team Member
John

I've used five of their "Universal" harnesses to wire a street rod, three Cobras, and my tube-frame Grand Sport; worked fine, never had a problem. Instructions are understandably a little sketchy, as the harness is "universal", and they have no idea what you're going to use it in; you will have to "adapt" to some extent as you go along if you're re-wiring a Camaro with it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech

I use painless to wire my car. Worked great.
I put it in 4 years ago and no problems. The only thing I had a problem with was the wiring of the ignition was mislabled. The color was wrong. Put I call for information at wireless and they straightened me out.

------------------
obnoxious 67 camaro under construction. TH350/383 stroker w/ aluminum Edlebroc RPM heads,cam, and carb.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

why don't you use the one made for your car?
i used the 69 kit and had no problems
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I used the Painless 18 circuit kit for my '67.
I love having the modern type fuse panel/fuses. One thing: Keep the half moon steering column connector. You will be pushing Painless's wires (ends already set) into it.
I found the install to be very simple.
I like the way they integrate everything onto the fuse panel; horn relays, turn signal and hazard flashers, etc..

Also, I have found, in my setup, it's very nice to have separate wires for each connection.

One problem they had a year ago, and may still be in some kits in inventory for a while: The washer pump/wiper plug wires were reversed. A call to Painless got me a faxed page with the proper wire arrangement.

All in all I am very happy with the Painless kit in my car.

David
'67 RS/SS w/'97LT1 & 6 Speed
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

67LT1,

was that the Universal kit or the one for your model car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode