Impact wrenches - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi All, I just bought a used inch impact wrench at the swap meet for $30 dollars. I'm not familiar with the brand name, "Milwaukee Pneumatic tool", model number MP-151, made in Japan, does anyone know any thing about this brand? I currently own an Ingersoll Rand model 244 impact and I was hoping that the Milwaukee Pneumatic has more power for the really big jobs. Is this a good wrench? Does any know if it is still being made possibly under a different brand name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

Don't know about their air tools, but their electric power tools are pretty good. I'd say a step above Craftsman stuff.
Just my .02.

joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 01:11 PM

Wink

The "more power" you are looking for comes from your compressor more than the tool you are using, you need to be able to put more PSI into the tools you are using to make them more powerful.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi Joe G and Mreetz, Thanks for the replies. Joe G I'm not sure if Milwaukee Pneumatic is the same as Milwaukee Electric, but I agree with you that Milwaukee Electric makes good power tools. Mreetz the compressor I'm using is a Speedair, "High Performance model" with the regulator set at 90 psi. I'm a little cautious to exceed 90 psi as that is what most impact wrench manufactures recommends, perhaps it wouldn't be too bad just to turn up the pressure on the really hard to remove bolts. My Ingersol Rand drive is one of the stronger impacts, (first time I used it was on a 3/8 grade 5 bolt, well I wasn't too familiar with it and I had it in forward and immediately twisted the bolt head off, the wrench didn't even slow down!). I was hoping I got a deal on the drive impact as some of the larger bolts and nuts that I work with have over 300 ft/lbs of torque on them and are kinda rusted. I guess the only sure way is to put them side by side to the test.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
Don

I run 120 psi everyday and all of my tools have been working fine for the last 10 years and they're all craftsmen.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 03:58 PM

Thumbs up

Well, you have a large enough compressor!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 04:55 PM
David Pozzi

We've used a Harbor Freight $25.00 half inch air rachet at 150 lbs for over 10 years! It was used about two days a week. Something finally broke on it and I replaced it for another $25.00.
At 90psi, it won't do much at all.
I wouldn't worry much about hurting it with pressure. I'm sure it will shorten the life of it, but not a lot.
A better quality air gun will do more at a lower pressure.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 06-27-2001).]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

How did you get into my garage David?

I too run a Harbor Freight cheapie impact wrench at 175 psi. No problems yet.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi All, Carl C, Wow 175 psi. Davidpozzi, that must be one mean ratchet and with the economy of it, who can argue! Hey I agree at 90 psi the 3/8's Harbor Freight ratchet I had wouldn't do much either; it just simply spread apart at the head so I pitched it. Now I wonder if I spent too much on the impact Ingersol Rand I bought about 4 years ago, Harbor Freight has them for $200. I also bought a reaction-less 3/8 ratchet at $140, however the reaction-less part of it is nice. Well it looks like I've been living a sheltered life, I need a change and live on the edge. Tonight I'm going home and tearing off all the mattress labels in the house; Mreetz, I'm turning the regulator up to 120 psi. Thanks Guys for the tips. Carl C, did you ever run up against a fastener that your impact and 175-psi wouldn't remove?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Only a few in automotive applications. My breaker bar and 3' cheater take care of the rest.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

About your IR-244, With a constant air preasure of 90 lbs. the torque is 500lbs.
It is a very good Air Gun. But to make the torque it must be above 90 psi at the compressor like Mreetz said.

If anybody has a IR-231, the torque is 425.
IR also makes a 2131, 450lbs foward, 600lbs in reverse.
The new "Thunder Gun" is 625lbs of torque.
Awesome gun. I use this one.

(The Milwaukee Pneumatic tool, model number MP-151)
I'll check it out tomorrow for you. I'm not familiar with their Air tools, just their power tools.
Keep that IR-244 oiled, and have a water separater at the air compressor and it should last you many years. 8 is the average.

------------------
502 Bob

69 Z-502
Body by Fisher and Customized by Fisher
www.mobiletools1.com
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Hi 502 Bob, Here's my compressor stat's; 10.3 cfm at 90 psi, 9.1 cfm at 135 psi. It kicks on at 95 psi and shuts off at 135 psi. Right now it has a 100-foot air hose hooked up to it on a reel. Both ratchet and impact have a whip hose with inline oilers connected to them, the impact has a pressure feed in the handle, which I also fill from time to time. All the connectors are a commercial grade of Amflo 7's, that have large internal diameter. With the regulator set at 90 psi it never drops below that. I have an extra 20-gallon tank that I was going to connect to the compressor's 20 gallon tank but after four years it doesn't need the extra capacity using it for just an impact wrench. So I'm pretty sure that the impact has 90 psi all the time. I hooked-up the impact the day I bought it and I noticed it "sounds" like it's turning slower then the , but I don't know as I have no way to measure it, unless I check-out the strobe light from work.
The reason I've asked questions on this subject is I hate to be stopped by a stubborn bolt or nut, and with impacts it's nice to simply hook up to the problem nut or bolt and blast it off. Like everyone else, I too have run into situations where I'm pulling on the end of a cheater bar and friends are trying to stop the other end from turning. So that's where I got the idea to buy a impact. I'll still turn up the pressure at the regulator, but if it helps a impact deliver more torque it'll do the same for a . Looking in a Harbor Freight and Grainger's catalogs, the impact I bought wasn't in there. I was hoping that the impact I bought had similar torque as the advertised stuff, in the 700 to 900 ft/lbs range, as that seems like a good step up in power to what I now have, (as you noted, 500 ft/lbs max). The impact looks like an over sized Dayton impact with a power knob on the bottom of the handle. One good thing is the tip on running up the air pressure to more power. I was curious as to how much does that "Thunder Gun" cost?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech

True running higher PSI will increase power of a wrench. But a bigger compressor is necessary only if running constantly, with tools like sanders or air chisels. An impact wrench doesnt use air over sustained periods like other tools, so even a smaller compressor can supply the air at a higher PSI for a short burst.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 01, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

No news on the model # yet.
One thing about 3/4" guns is they need a larger Dia. hose for the air consumtion.
When I sell the 3/4 guns I tell the guys to also get over sized fittings to allow more air to get into the gun. They do not turn as fast as the 1/2" guns, but have much more torque. Just like S/B to B/B.
I'll try to get the info next week.

------------------
502 Bob

69 Z-502
Body by Fisher and Customized by Fisher
www.mobiletools1.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode