roof rack for 1st gens - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This probably seems like an odd ques. but does anyone make a bolt on style roof rack that will fit a 68 Camaro. I want something that will clamp onto the roof w/o any mods to the car. I need something to carry surfboards and the like as my camaro is now my daily driver. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I have a Thule (sp?) that carried my bicycles back when the Beast was a daily driver.

It clamps onto the roof rail, is very sturdy, and can easily carry several surfboards. It can cause damage to the roof rail stainless moulding if you are not careful.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 01, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Talking

I still have my surfboard racks from my first 67 when it was only a year old (boy, did I just date myself!). They clamped on the roof rail with wing nuts. I used thin rubber strips under it to keep from damaging the car. They still sell similar (but better) one in surf shops around here.
Have you tried a surf shop?
I'd give you mine, but they are pretty ratty after 30+ years and would be embarrased to be seen with them now!

joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 01, 10:42 AM
Tech Team

I can't believe it! I've been thinking about mounting a cool Thule type of roof rack to my '69 SS 396 4 spd driver car to carry my road bicyle. I ride with a group of "roadies" a couple of nights a week and my bike doesn't fit too well into the trunk or back seat of my '69, or at least not without worrying about nicking the paint or ripping a seat cover, etc.

So, I thought it would be cool to have a custom-looking Thule type of roof rack. You guys inspired me to look around. I'll try a surf shop.

Thanks. And I'll let you know if I find any really cool racks anywhere that will work without damaging our 1st gens.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode