Rally Sport - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Doc

Gentlemen, a customer of mine wants to add the rally sport option to his 69. My questions are many;(1)does anyone offer a complete conversion kit,(2)has anyone done this 100% so that the headlite washers and the reverse lites all function,(3)do the wiring harnesses differ,(4)price figure to do this(parts only),(5)is there anything about the front sheetmetal that will have to be addressed? Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Parts that are different:front fenders, grill, head light assymbly, windshield washer motor and pump, head light switch, complete wiring harness, tail light lenses and housings, backup lights, vacuum resivour, washer tank mounting bracket, vacuum hoses, and more that I cant think of at this time. He would be better off to buy a RS.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 07:29 PM

Question

Question?? Did the RS option come stock with washers in '69 or is that a piggy-back option??? pdq67

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 00, 08:40 PM

You can get conversion kits through Clasic industries, and Ricks first gen. for sure as well as others I'm sure. Cost is about $1000. I'm not sure if they come with the brackets for the fenders or not, but the fender brackets can be modified for the conversion without replacing the fenders. Hope this helps alittle.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 02:44 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
I think the washers were part of RPO-Z22 (Rally Sport). I am not sure if I understand what you mean by "piggy-back" option....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 12/22/00)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
William

There were 4 headlamp switches for 1969: std, std w/gauges, RS, RS w/gauges. Used switches are around but the slider in the vacuum port is often broken. The gauge version is identifiable by the larger ceramic block on the rheostat. I believe someone still services the non-gauge RS switch.

The front lights and engine harnesses are not different for RS; the rear differs slightly in that the reverse lamp leads have male plugs rather than sockets. 68 vacuum tanks have 2 nipples; 69s have 1. The wiper motor/pump is not different; for RS they added a small solenoid-operated pump for the headlamp washers. This often didn't work while under warranty so don't expect much.

RS included style trim; fender moldings, drip rail trim, etc. Early production RS included bright-trimmed parking lamps. Non-Z/28 & SS cars would get the D96 pin stripes.

Can be done; just gotta find all the parts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
William, what, functionally, is the difference between the RS switch and the switch for RS w/ guages? I am unclear on this issue....

Thanks....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 12/22/00)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
John

William,
Could you please explain the functionality difference between the gauge and non-gauge headlight switches?
thanks!

------------------
69 Z/28
www.camarogenerations.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 06:06 AM

When I bought my Z11 new in 1969, it had the headlight washers included as part of the RS package.

They really did work too, but in Minnesota when you used them the most to wash off the salt and grime, the blue washer fluid always seemed to go otherplaces too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
William

The noticable difference between gauge / non-gauge switches is the ceramic block on the rheostat. Gauge cars have more lights to handle; more heat. Side-by-side the difference is obvious. And there could be other differences. Point is the P&A manual listed all 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode