69 z/28 valve adjustment - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

on my 69 302- should valves be adjusted hot or cold, and are there any reliable ways or recommended procedures? and what is proper lash? (.30" ?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 02:40 AM

.30" is wright I do it hot. Some do it cold but you have to ajust for the heat up about .02" to .04" I do not like to do it that way. The manul says to do it hot.

TIM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech
frank

If its the stock solid lifter cam then .030'' is correct, intake and exhaust

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech
John

Valve adjustment with the (stock) "30-30" Duntov cam must be done with the engine hot and running - the length of the clearance ramps leaves almost no "base circle" on the cam, so the traditional "hot but static" method that works on most other solid-lifter cams won't work with the "30-30"; that's why the Shop Manual says to do it "hot and running". Just use a partial old valve cover to deflect the oil drippage off the retainers and a set of rocker arm clips to deflect the pushrod oil down into the rocker ball area. Once you get the hang of it, you can do it in about ten minutes. Just let it idle - don't rev it up or you'll have oil spatter everywhere.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 05:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Adjust a solid cam engine while it's running. WHAT?!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Thats the only way to do it correctly. 30-30 while hot and running. Had three of them (302). Also you will get very good at engine shampoos as well.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stewie:
Thats the only way to do it correctly. 30-30 while hot and running. Had three of them (302). Also you will get very good at engine shampoos as well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only way to do it correctly? I don't think so. I will continue to do it the other correct way, with out it running. Never had a problem or a mess to clean up. Been to a bunch of races, seen alot of guys adjust the valves on there cars, never once did anyone have the thing running.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

I would like to take this question a little further backwards. How do you set up this cam after you install it up to the point that you do the adjustments. Need some really good details on this since I will be doing this myself...

Thanks,
Gary
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 07:21 PM
David Pozzi

Here's my two cents worth.
I started playing with engines in the late 60's, had my Lola T-70 running since 1978 with a roller cam in it.
I've allways set lash cold and had NO valve related problems.
I now have aluminum heads on the engine and set the lash .002" tighter than spec when cold. With iron heads just set at the recomended spec.

Stuff I've read over the years says the block, heads, pushrods etc all heat up the same rate if made of iron and steel.
The aluminum heads expand a little more than the steel pushrods so you need to close it up a little.

Those who lash the cam hot. The engine get's much hotter than that when racing or driving down the road at higher rpm's.
So "hot" is a somewhat relative term.
I just have found that I can pull the valve covers, lash the valves accurately and calmly without rushing, replace the valve covers carefully, get everything properly in place and ready to go out on the track with the engine cold. If I get the valve covers on wrong and get a leak, I'll get black flagged and miss my practice group, so doing it with the engine cold is better for me.

By the way, I'm using an Isky roller cam and it's 640 lift, so if I were very far off in adjusting it, I would be having SOME kind of problems by now!
My engine builder does valve adjustments this way too and has done CanAm, and Southwest Tour engines for years, in addition to drag boat engines.

The 30-30 cam has a LOT of lash, .030" is a lot of lash and I've read where you can close it up 2 or 3 thou when experimenting.
I wonder if the high amount of lash is really there to allow for the guy who just drives the car and never re adjusts the lash. In other words, as a safety margin because this cam is a production vehicle cam. If that's true, there would be a very large range of leeway in lashing the Z/28 cam.
Many aftermarket cams use .008" to .012" clearance.

I'm not trying to put down anyone who likes to hot lash valves, I suppose it's pretty accurate. I just don't like working on hot engines.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 04-27-2001).]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech
John

Either method works with most solid-lifter cams - matter of personal preference; however, the "30-30" grind is a unique animal due to the length of the clearance ramps and is spec'd to be lashed hot and running because the base circle is so short.

I've used the "hot and running" method for over 40 years (personal preference), as it's quick, doesn't require manually cranking the engine over from one group to the next, and I never dribble any oil using the clips and partial rocker cover - ten-minute process at most, and you don't fire it up later and hear one or two that are a tad too loose - you can hear them while you're setting them. I always seal the cover side of the rocker cover gasket to the cover with a bead of RTV (since that's the side that will leak, not the head side), just pop them off and on, don't over-torque the bolts, and have never had a leak. Just depends which method you like (except for the "30-30").

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode