68 ss stripe - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

My car is in the body shop as we "type". I am going to put the ss stripe on that used to be on the car before I had it. Does anybody know what color black it should be? I ordered the stencil kit from D&R so the shop can use that for the layout. Also, I think I read somewhere that if the car is a small block, the fender emblem is split, if a big block, the stripe goes through the emblem. Is that correct. I am putting the ss stripe that turns and goes to the door handles on a 68 rs/ss. As always, thanks for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 01, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

The stripe you seem to be referring to is the D90 stripe or "Hockey stick" SS stripe.

The one for 68 is different than 69. The one
that you discribe is correct for 69. It starts on the lower part of the front fender and goes along the top of the fender and finishes just in front of the door handle.

The 68 version goes across the front header panel down the front edge of the fender to the center of the fender, across the center of the door and terminates approximately 3.5 inches from the door edge. The early 68 version of this stripe continued thru the center of the door and onto the rear qtr and ended just in front of the wheel opening.
The stripe was painted on the fender and was decal on the door/qtr on both years. The 68 stripe was solid thru the emblem. The 69 stripe had a space for the emblem except it for 6 cylinder models were it was solid thru the emblem.
Sorry cant help you with a paint code for black. Gloss black
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 09:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Jonesy, if I'm not wrong, what kcs is refering as an SS stripe that goes all the way to the doors in a 68 is the one that starts at the header panel. It looks like the Bumble Bee stripe from top front but turns, in the front side, all the way to the doors. I have installed those on my car and as far as I know the one thats splits to accomodate the engine size emblem is the Bumble Bee one. Any other knowledgeable input is welcome.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 01, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
kcs
Senior Tech
Kevin

I know the 69 ss stripe is called the hockey stick stripe but I did not know the 68 was called this too. I know how it is supposed to be on the car but not by the emblems and I don't know the correct black. Gloss black would look good so maybe I'll tell the body shop. Thanks guys! Any more help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode