Need opinion on camshaft - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fellow Gearheads
Need some opinions on camshaft selection, I have been reading a lot on the Compcams Extreme Eneregy 268H and the 275H cams, has anyone used either of these camshafts, and what is your opinion. Motor I have now, 355 SBC, 492 chevy heads, 9.4 to 1 forged pistions, steel crank, 1.5 roller rockers, 600cfm eldenbrock, MSD 6AL, right now I have a older torker intake, thinking of changing to Performer RPM, now I am using a Compcams 280H, I love the parking lot lope, and the upper performance of this cam, but I would like to find another cam with the loved parking lot lope and better bottom end performance, this is in a 67 camaro, 4 speed and 3.73 gears,any ideas?
Thanks
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech

I am in the process of breaking in my new 383 in my 67. I went with the 268 extreme energy, non-roller lifters. Although I haven't really gotten on it yet, I can tell you that it feels like it has great torque from off idle all the way to the shift points. I LIGHTLY romped it while going about 10 MPH on the street and it lit the tires up. I run the Edelbrock 1406, Performer intake, S/R torquer heads, and Accel super coil HEI. The idle is not radical but does have a very powerful sound--my exhaust is 2 1/2" w/ turbo mufflers and headers. My goal was street driver with good sub 5500 RPM performance--I've never really enjoyed wraping motors up with high RPMs since I had one blow in my earlier years. My .02

Lance
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 00, 08:42 AM

Smile

rfine67,

You gotta do your homework and be totally honest with yourself on WHAT YOU WANT!!! I say this because its the "cruise range rpm mid-point" that you need to figure out.

In other words at what rpm do you want your engine to operate at most of the time. This rpm mid-point has to be matched to your rearend ratio so that you can take advantage of the power.

Most street mid sized small blocks really like the 260 to 268 cams, give or take high and low rear gears and plus or minus 4 degrees of timing on the intake side.

A 272 and 3.73's vs a 256 and 2.73/3.08's, etc.. IMHO. Merry X-mas. pdq67

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 00, 01:11 AM

Tightening up the lobe separation angle will make the motor lope a little more, but you will lose top end if you do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode